Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2004, 11:44 AM

Default this could\'ve gotten ugly (live 5-5 NL)

Foxwoods 5-5 NL.

I'm in BB(w/ ~700) with black JTo. Couple limpers, I knuckle and we see flop 5-ways.

Flop (pot $25) : T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB checks, I pot it. Only a MP insta-calls. He is the definite soft spot in the game. Just lost a huge pot when he called a large all-in turn bet with just a flush draw and only getting about 2-1 on his money. he has ~700 as well.

Turn (pot $75) : K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hmmm. I check. He pots it. I call.

River (pot $225) : 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Check. Check. I show my hand. He mucks and disgustedly walks off for a while. I can't for the life of me figure out what he had that would have made him act as if I'd laid a bad beat on him. Being a poor player, I figured he'd at least have shown a worse ten than mine looking for the "pity nods" from the rest of the table.

Comments on all streets appreciated, especially my turn play.
Old 07-18-2004, 12:13 PM

Default Re: this could\'ve gotten ugly (live 5-5 NL)

[ QUOTE ]
I can't for the life of me figure out what he had that would have made him act as if I'd laid a bad beat on him.

[/ QUOTE ]

K6 and he's a brutal player would be my guess.

Like the flop bet.
When he calls that I would *like* to assume he has a made hand and is not drawing to a flush for even money but given your earlier comments that may be a stretch.

I would have given him the benefit of the doubt and potted the turn as his call on the flop makes me think he has a good 6, not trips as you have the other 10 and I think a crap player would reraise in that situation. Boat is also unlikely as I would hope he wouldn't play 10-6 from MP. I strongly put him on A6 at that point. When he pots the turn I'm 95% sure its K6 and I push.

My 2 cents...still learning though.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:13 PM

With stacks this deep, a flop call with a flush draw isn't unreasonable at all, especially with position. I'd hate to pot the turn, only to see him come over the top or even call, leaving me with an ugly river decision. Also, a better ten is a definite possibility, even for a bad player. The turn play here is pretty tricky imo. I'd like to get more thoughts on it...
Old 07-19-2004, 01:19 PM

i don't know... that's pretty tricky. i think i'd bet the turn to avoid giving a free card to a diamond but plan on folding to a big raise. the problem i have with check-calling is that you have no idea what to do if the river blanks. so i'd bet the turn and then check the river unless i filled up
Old 07-19-2004, 06:18 PM

Hey Ocho,

A flop bet is good here. On the turn, it's tough to comment on your play without more detail on what kind of "soft spot" MP was and what you put him on when you call. But, if I had to guess, I'd say that check-calling was probably correct. On the river, if this is the type of dude to check his non-diamond hands, then checking is good. Against a decent (but not great)player, this isn't a bad spot to put in a bet.

[ QUOTE ]
I can't for the life of me figure out what he had that would have made him act as if I'd laid a bad beat on him. Being a poor player, I figured he'd at least have shown a worse ten than mine looking for the "pity nods" from the rest of the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy. AA or AK. But, I think that he might have had a ten and just not gone for the pity...

Nice hand.

Mike