Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2004, 05:39 PM

Default Re: What is this, golf? Tennis?

No, I meant the JJ hand someone else had where Arieh was caught criticizing.

Look, everyone is burning when they lose a hand. Having someone screaming "Ja, ja, ja" is going to make just about anyone mad. So if you knowingly do that again and again to "give yourself an edge" -- which is about what he said in his espn interview segment, you are deciding it's okay to rub it in your opponents faces when you win again and again. I think that is pretty disrespectful. Compare it with Raymer, for example, or many other players, who will give a short fist pump or say "yeah" or whatever -- that to me is a much more appropriate way to release tension/celebrate winning a hand than Andersson's antics.

As for Luske, if you'd like to be at a table with this guy be my guest. For someone to do that much material, they'd have to be Larry David or the vintage Richard Pryor for it to be worth hearing.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:33 PM

Hi cowpie,

Simple answer. If you need to make your opponents angry in order to have an edge, you're a weak player. What's more, if your pleasure in life comes from ruining someone else's pleasure in this beautiful game, I pity you.

Cris
Old 09-15-2004, 08:21 PM

I found Anderson's gloating completely rude. When you bust someone out the classy thing to do is to shake their hand and say GG. Not dance around the room screaming like a castrated monkey for 5 minutes. I think he was definitly the thrid biggest ass on TV.

Jason
Old 09-15-2004, 10:09 PM

Default Re: Can you imagine...

[ QUOTE ]
so if someone wants to celebrate like crazy, throw lude comments out, or juggle firey rings at the table to give themselves an edge, then I say go for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't heard any lude comments since like 1976.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:53 PM

Default Re: Can you imagine...

haha.. good one rush.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't think the call was horrible against the range of hands I could put Arieh on there and the stack sizes/blinds at the time.

Here's my ass rating for the tourney:

1. Matusow
2. Arieh
3. Andersson
4. Hellmuth (he didn't last long, but his ridiculous comments and assumption he "should" win earn extra credit).
5. Marcel Luske -- may be an okay guy but his annoying singing and waving are particularly rude considering how long he's been playing.

These guys should look at Harrington, Brunson, Lederer, Ivey, Raymer, Seidel and lots of others and realize you don't have to be a jerk or have no personality to win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those guys are great TV. I loved watching them all. I agree w/ the other post, how do you lump in M.Andersson & Luske w/ the other three? Andersson just a young kid, yelling "yes", and Luske is hilarious, but not berating.

I liked watcing Arieh also (yes he's a prick), and I hated how Norman Chad wouldn't give the kid a break. He was taking a shot at Josh every chance he could. Aren't we forgiving to athletes who say inappropriate things in the heat of a game or right after? This kid is filled w/ emotion when he's in these hands. I have no problem letting those comments go.

Also you can be a gentleman/lady and be a great poker player. But if one chooses, who says you can't a dick a be a great player either.