Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2005, 08:48 PM

Default Middle Pairs facing average Joe\'s open-raise

15-30 party

Optimal preflop strategy for decent pairs when faced with pf raise is not obvious to me, although it is a quite common situation.

GENERAL scenario, mid-ish position with 77-TT (or even JJ). Average Joe (20-25% pf/8-10% pfr) raises from early or mid, its folded to you.

My Strategy: Call. Assume flop has 2-3-maybe 4 players.
1. If checked to pf raiser, and Joe bets, Cr any flop of rags (undercards), rags and one overcard (EXCEPT A or K, maybe Q)
2. Check and fold to a K or A (Q), more than one over, or any significant action with any over card or scary board
3. Do my thing with a set, raise it up usually, or slowplay if conditions are right (diff suits+uncoordinated flop,etc)

You do not bet out the flop since a Joe flop raise tells you much less than a Joe flop rr. This way a high pocket can often be sniffed out fairly accurately, giving you an easier turn fold. If Joe just calls your cr, then keep it coming if a rag falls.

This is very general and very subject to all sorts of things. For instance, if more than 4 players are in, play is more cautious, and betting out could be considered. But is there a better plan A than above?