Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-15-2005, 12:50 PM

Default OT xx,xxx players on x,xxx tables

This may seem like an odd question or even pointless, but..

Does anyone KNOW how party defines "player" in the main lobby?

I would assume that it would mean individuals, but a player could easily be defined as an occupied seat.

For example...

You sit down at two different tables
The other 18 seats are occupied by unique individuals.

By one deffinition there are 19 players.
By another deffinition there are 20 players. (10 players at each table)
Old 12-15-2005, 12:51 PM

Default Re: OT xx,xxx players on x,xxx tables

I believe, I'd say I am 90% confident, that their player count is not a unique player count, but how many are sat at the tables. So your 2nd definition.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:00 PM

From a programming point of view, I would say it's likelier that it's the number of connected sessions to their servers than the number of occupied seats.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From a programming point of view, I would say it's likelier that it's the number of connected sessions to their servers than the number of occupied seats.

[/ QUOTE ]

From a marketing point of view, I would say it is much more likely to be the one that gives the highest player count.

I am pretty certain that one seat occupied=one player. And if you look at how the player counts increased dramatically in a very short timespan during the 3 000 000 000th hand promotion it seems likely that the increase was due to people adding tables with 10 minutes to go instead of 8000 people just happened to log on en masse right when the hands were about to be played.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:04 PM

Tigerite do you know if there's an easy way to 'measure' the number of players playing every half hour or so? I live in the netherlands so I can't play during peak hours. If I'd have some nice stats on the number of players playing through out the day I could decide when it's best to play (evenings or mornings for example). Maybe it's easy to do with some kind of script?

One of those tests where we compare ROI's during different times would be nice too. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-15-2005, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

From a marketing point of view, I would say it is much more likely to be the one that gives the highest player count.

[/ QUOTE ]

programmers are lazy
Old 12-15-2005, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tigerite do you know if there's an easy way to 'measure' the number of players playing every half hour or so? I live in the netherlands so I can't play during peak hours. If I'd have some nice stats on the number of players playing through out the day I could decide when it's best to play (evenings or mornings for example). Maybe it's easy to do with some kind of script?

One of those tests where we compare ROI's during different times would be nice too. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to have a link to a site that had up-to-date stats showing player volume by day/hour...can't find it [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-15-2005, 01:10 PM

Programmers are lazy, yep. But in this case, that makes the latter more likely - they already have to look through each table in the database to find out that count - far easier to get the count of players on that table and do a sum I'd have thought, two birds with one stone. Especially if it's just a database query.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

programmers are lazy

[/ QUOTE ]

While true, it isn't very advanced programming to count a seat as a player. Furthermore, I doubt this would be left up to the programmers to decide, but a management decision.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
programmers are lazy

[/ QUOTE ]

i prefer to think i am apathetic