Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 06:40 PM

Default Re: Hiring day laborers

[ QUOTE ]
For what it's worth, the going rate is probably closer to $25/day/person. (Los Angeles has designated spots downtown where day layborers are supposed to wait, and I used to live 2 blocks from one.) They got decent money, your yard work's done, and everyone's happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

You kidding? Thats like $3 an hour
Old 11-15-2005, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For what it's worth, the going rate is probably closer to $25/day/person. (Los Angeles has designated spots downtown where day layborers are supposed to wait, and I used to live 2 blocks from one.) They got decent money, your yard work's done, and everyone's happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean $25/hour/person right???
Old 11-15-2005, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You kidding? Thats like $3 an hour

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely serious. And sweatshops pay less. Life as an illegal immigrant isn't all that great.

edit - a "day" may not be 8 hours...it could be more like 4-6. But these people are not well-paid for doing work that's physically very demanding.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

$25/hour is WAY too much. You can hire people from a legitimate Temporary higher place for way cheaper. Only catch with them is that you typically have to pay for 4 hours minimum.

There is no way that laborers should be getting much more than minimum wage. It just is not a skilled position.

With that said, if you feel like paying more than so be it, but I really do not think it is standard by any means.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow time for a reality check.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

$25/hour is WAY too much. You can hire people from a legitimate Temporary higher place for way cheaper. Only catch with them is that you typically have to pay for 4 hours minimum.

There is no way that laborers should be getting much more than minimum wage. It just is not a skilled position.

With that said, if you feel like paying more than so be it, but I really do not think it is standard by any means.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not saying that I would pay them $25 an hour, I just thought that 25/day/person was some sort of typo.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:57 PM

On the east coast (NJ) the typical wage for day laborers is $10/hr. I used them to move from my apt into my house. I had 2 guys help me out for 8 hours and I gave them each $100 plus water and a chicken parm hero - they worked hard so I gave a $20 tip - for which they were very greatful.

As far as the ethics go, my wife was a little "concerned" about hiring illegal workers, but the quotes I got for moving were over $1,000 - between the workers and the truck it cost me $300 - and everyone walked away happy.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:14 PM

My wife had an internship at St Joseph's where they have a store that sell donated items and a day laborer center. So we used them when we moved. It worked great for us and it has advantages over the "drive to home depot and pick 3 random guys" method.

You can schedule it. We told them we needed 3 people, on who spoke at least passable english, for moving for 6 hours and were paying $15 an hour. They scheduled 3 people and when they were waiting when we got there.

If anything happenned, at least someone knows who they are. Ie they aren't random guys who just escaped prison in some other country.
These guys worked hard. I figured on 6 hours with 4 of us moving. We were done in under 4. I ended up paying them for the whole 6 hours anyway. They made the move much easier.

Just be aware that the money you save has a price. You are underwriting your own damage risk. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I had a friend do the same thing and a glass tabletop got broken. If day laborers break it, well looks like you didn't save much money this time. I always made sure I took care of moving the TV and computers, etc.

So see if your local salvation army, goodwill type organization has a day laborer center if you don't have any starving college kids to have do it.

Pancho
Old 11-15-2005, 07:17 PM

I thought this was going to be a gimmick account post at first...turned out much better. well said.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:28 PM

[insert rampant racism here]