Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2004, 06:44 PM

Default Big Stack = Big Enema!

Ok, guys and gals, here’s today’s question: How do you learn to handle big stacks?

Three weeks ago, I lamented the fact that I was getting killed on NLHE short tables in tourns and SNGs. Following instructions from my friends, I have been playing at least one or two HU SNGs every day. $5+ $10+, some 4seat. Started out 1/6, currently 18/15. Nobody's expert yet, but getting better.

Now about big stacks:
Yesterday, in the $3+addons supersat to the Sunday 215 NLHE, I briefly had 100K, had 80K solidly for ½ hour. Fourth hour I went into play to not lose mode. 24 advanced, I finished 28th.

Today, had 50K in the $10+ NLHE cash tourn on stars. I was in good position in this tourn, more aggressive, 7th, moved up to 2nd with 50left. OK, I lost 2pK to 2pA, hurt bad, ½ stack. Finished 26th, won some money, but not final table by a long shot. Could have done a lot better even with the one real bad hand.

Bigger stacks than mine in both cases, by X3, but mine 2x to 4x stk avg. The one tourn I did have chip lead late two weeks ago, I won it. That does not mean I have learned to play this, or have learned to play bully effectively.

How do you learn?, What do your read?, How do you practice?… playing big stacks?

Doc

(Matter of fact, SNG guys saw me do it two weeks ago. 9K stack going into final table, bubbled out.)

Old 02-16-2004, 05:33 PM

Default Re: Big Stack = Big Enema!

UNfortunately, most of us will have more time to practice playing small stacks than big ones, at least at first. As we become better and get more experience, we'll have more chances to practice with big stacks.

As for me, when I have a big stack, I WANT to run over the table, stealing pot after pot. Sometimes this is feasible, sometimes not. I DON'T want to get involved with another big stack unless I have a very strong hand. This is probably most important thing of all. When the big stacks are out of the pot, I do try to liberally steal from the short stacks who are A) trying to survive, and B) won't hurt me much if they call me and I lose the hand.

In bubble or near bubble situations, it may be more prudent to just sit tight and play tight until you are assured of being in the money. This situation occurs when you have the big stack, but it's certainly not a lock for getting into the money. Say you have 40,000 but most players at your table have 10,000 or so. You might just sit tight here and wait for the bubble to pass, because two hands and you could be screw-ed.

Ultimately tho, I want to be using my big stack as a powerful weapon, not sitting around waiting to squeek into the cash. As long as I avoid confrontations with the big stacks at my table, I should be able to do this with even mediocre cards. And hey, if you're getting dealt nothing but junk, well, you can afford to just play tight.

al