Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2005, 07:10 PM

Default Variance

I'm a succesful NL player and decided to try 10/20 limit 6max today and lost 10 BB per hundred hands over 2,000 hands. I assume I'm horrible but is this to be expected as a standard start up cost for someone with basic limit skills?
Old 09-10-2005, 07:26 PM

Default Re: Variance

YSSCKY?
Old 09-10-2005, 07:36 PM

Probably, but I was a successful small stakes limit player before I switched to NL. I guess the real question what type of start up cost can be associated with switching games? assuming my stats aren't outrageous (23/14/1.7). I'm kinda tired of NL and looking for a change-up and don't really enjoy playing penny poker (3/6 Limit or lower).
Old 09-10-2005, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
YSSCKY?

[/ QUOTE ]

I see this everywhere. Someone explain to this old geyser what this means?

As for the OP, dude, that's rough. OTOH, I can run that poorly over 2K hands. OTOOH, When I do it, it is variance. When you do it, it is because you are a losing player. Obviously you have problems with your game. Stop bluffing. Tighten up and fly right.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:27 PM

It means "you should so consider killing yourself." You need to hang out in OOT more [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-10-2005, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It means "you should seriously consider killing yourself." You need to hang out in OOT more [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-10-2005, 09:31 PM

Jason, do you run the search engine for "OOT" every hour or something? Anything OOT, you are there!

I spend plenty of time in OOT, but YSSCKY has never made sense to me. I even asked once. And of course, I've tried about 100 anagrams. Thanks for filling me in.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jason, do you run the search engine for "OOT" every hour or something? Anything OOT, you are there!

I spend plenty of time in OOT, but YSSCKY has never made sense to me. I even asked once. And of course, I've tried about 100 anagrams. Thanks for filling me in.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I don't. I just started reading MHS regularly (I even posted a 20/40 hand a couple of weeks ago) and saw this thread at the top.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:44 PM

Well, good to have you hear. I'm a resident MTT poster, but split my extra time btwn here and OOT.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a succesful NL player and decided to try 10/20 limit 6max today and lost 10 BB per hundred hands over 2,000 hands. I assume I'm horrible but is this to be expected as a standard start up cost for someone with basic limit skills?

[/ QUOTE ]

10/20 is also not an easy game. You really have to have a solid SH limit game to beat it. If you are switching over out of boredom, I'd play 3/6. If that is too low play 5/10 but even 5/10 requires a solid understanding of relative hand values that isn't easy to aquire. That said, it's very likely you are running bad. (10) BB/100 isn't easy to achieve with your VP$IP/PFR.

FWIW there was a thread today where a long term 3 BB winner over 500K went through a 650 BB downswing. The consensus is it was a once in a lifetime downswing. But you should expect 100-200 downswings quite regularly.

Krishan