Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: WCOOP Event #9 ($300+$20 Limit Stud, Monday 9/12, 3pm EST)
>600 4 19.05%
500-600 5 23.81%
300-400 8 38.10%
<300 4 19.05%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-06-2005, 09:34 PM

Default Re: Best Old School Video Game of All Time; Round of 32

[ QUOTE ]

Well, some of us aren't voting on the uber-geek scale of game craftsmanship, we're just voting on which games we had the most fun playing. TSB [censored] rules to play against friends. Having a season with a bunch of friends in high school taking each team, while demanding, is probably my greatest videogame memory.

[/ QUOTE ]
OMG I loved playing tictactoe with my brothers and cousins when I was five. That game was so much fun! We would play for hours and keep score, it was so fun. One of my best childhood memories!

Therefore, I have concluded that it is actually the greatest strategy game of all time.

Yes, that's right.

&gt;

I mean, it's just the better game.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
X-Com has still never been topped at what it does in all these years, not even close.

And I mean that 100% literally. Not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. It's unbelievable how a turn based strategy game that's inherently slow paced can have you so much on edge while playing it. There's no feeling like taking on a terror mission at night, stepping out of your craft, and having an alien fire at you from some unknown location.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:37 PM

That's the problem with OOT polls and threads of this nature.

The question is not which one you played, or had most fun playing. It's which one you think is the best.

They virtually immediately degenerate into favorites, not bests, though. Sometimes favorites parading as bests.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:37 PM

Matches 5,6,10,13 all are quite close.

Had a tough time not voting for Tecmo Bowl, but come on, Chrono Trigger deserves to advance.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:40 PM

Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Dragon Warrior, Secret of Mana all losing right now

gay, imo.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:47 PM

Whoever said this is turning into favorites vs. bests is absolutely right, but hey, its nostalgia, did you expect something different?

I would hazard a guess that these results show that many many OOT'ers cant stand RPG's
Old 12-06-2005, 09:48 PM

How in the [censored] can Star Control II be losing to some [censored] like Mortal Kombat. Who the [censored] gives a [censored] about Mortal [censored] Kombat? A joke, you people are.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:50 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i really like old school rpgs. i stopped playing ff7 after the first disc and never went back to it because of a lack of interest. i'd happily replay final fantasy for the snes though. anything along those lines graphically and mechanically (which still happens with game boy rpgs and such).
Old 12-06-2005, 09:52 PM

if you havent played ff5, do yourself a favor and go enjoy it, it has the job system seen in final fantasy tactics.

btw, wow, no interest in FF7? I guess I was just the right age or somethin, but it gripped me right from the start, with what I think is one of the best stories ever.

oh well, anyone else feel that way about Cloud and the gang?
Old 12-06-2005, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
X-Com has still never been topped at what it does in all these years, not even close.

And I mean that 100% literally. Not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. It's unbelievable how a turn based strategy game that's inherently slow paced can have you so much on edge while playing it. There's no feeling like taking on a terror mission at night, stepping out of your craft, and having an alien fire at you from some unknown location.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. This is one of the extremely few games that actually has made me jump when something happened, given me a feeling of authentic fright.

The aliens were vicious and when that zombie making alien suddenly revealed himself by turning a corner it was stark terror because you knew something almost unstoppably horrible and powerful was going to come.

Creeping through those nighttime missions in a darkened store or lonesome field was intensely scary and full of suspense. You always dreaded nighttime missions, but if you put them off, you could lose a city or lose points with the populace or funding or all of it. You couldn't escape the terror!

And I loved that the map generator was random and that you could even play the same savegame of a battle from its beginning and have it turn out much differently. I played a bunch of my favorite battles over again, not because of winning or losing, but because they were so fun.

There was nothing like trying to make it up the stairs without getting your head blown off. The tactical challenges were fantastic, and the lightning fast realtime exchanges in a slow turn-based game were shocking and fun.

And time was handled better than in any game I've ever seen. Auto-fire enabling multiple troops to open up on a guy was great, and misusing it was always a danger. Loved those auto-fire rockets swooping in to annihilate a sector, but maybe blow you up to or knock out the stairs you needed, or engulf you in smoke you couldn't escape in time. So usually rockets weren't good for autofire ... but then you lose initiative. What a friggin great system. Moves and feels like realtime at all the right times, and lets you use so much strategy and tactics at the others. Awesome blend.

The sense of panic that you might go broke, not get your research done in time, that buying too many scientists or soldiers might have been a big mistake, that you might be caught short, that a weak base might be invaded, that an inexperienced crew might cause you to lose a battle or base station or might even get mind-controlled and waste your powerful veterans ...

(sigh) They don't make games like that anymore. They've never made one since.