Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 01:50 AM

Default ($22) Deuces ITM River Bluff Raise...do you likey?

Villian had been loose pre-flop the whole game (something close to 45% VPIP, but passive post flop).

Actually, I'm wondering how else you would play deuces in this situation. Pre-flop, and any of the other streets. I think pushing pre-flop or on the flop is better than my line here.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (3 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Hero (t1968)
SB (t3071)
BB (t2961)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Hero raises to t400, SB calls t325, 1 fold.

Flop: (t950) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (t950) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: (t950) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)
SB bets 350, Hero Raises All-In, SB takes every last second and his time bank and folds.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:14 AM

Default Re: ($22) Deuces ITM River Bluff Raise...do you likey?

no
Old 11-11-2005, 02:20 AM

With thirteen BB left, I'd fold pre-flop unless the blinds are tight. Having raised, I'd fire 600 on the flop, and shut down if called.

Woo! 100 posts!
Old 11-11-2005, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With thirteen BB left, I'd fold pre-flop unless the blinds are tight. Having raised, I'd fire 600 on the flop, and shut down if called.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is folding a pair here standard when it's three handed and your effective M in (or very close to) the RED ZONE?
Old 11-11-2005, 11:06 AM

Please. Stop already with the 'effective M' and 'RED ZONE' etc. You're misapplying the concepts in HOH and they're nonsense here.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Please. Stop already with the 'effective M' and 'RED ZONE' etc. You're misapplying the concepts in HOH and they're nonsense here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain to me how folding a pair of deuces pre-flop when its three handed is standard. My 'effective M' is 2.6 and I am smack in the middle of the 'RED ZONE'. Since you were so polite as to point out that 'they're nonsense here', I would love to hear your explanation as to why folding 22 pre-flop is standard.

If you are referring to my OP, of course the actual play I made has nothing to do with it. If you had read it, you would see I asked for advice on how to play 22 in this situation. But thank you for your insight. You are usually very good with ICM calcs and showing wether a play is mathmatically EV. I was dissappointed to see your response.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:32 AM

Nope.

I raise less preflop and then check/fold the rest of the way.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nope.

I raise less preflop and then check/fold the rest of the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

If your plan is to check/fold when you don't hit a set then why play 22 at all? May as well be 32.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:38 AM

I bet the flop when he checks it to me.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:46 AM

He never said you should've folded 22. He said that "effective M" and "red zone" don't matter. You play it, but your decision has little to do with your effective M. HOH is a book on multitable tournaments, not SNGs. Different strategies apply.

I like your t400 raise. Follow it up with a t500 bet on the flop though. You showed aggression preflop and a continuation bet would win you the pot fairly frequently. If it doesn't, check it down.

It's not that I particularly hate your river push, but I think the continuation bet is the much better play. Safer and probably more effective. You don't want a donk to hit their 8 and think they're good, and as a safe rule of thumb you don't want to see more cards with 22.

-SonnyJay