Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2005, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Appearing Weak

wannabe lagtags often pull stupid moves like this against me. 3betting junk in the bb to my button raise. it doesnt make much sense to me bc i am never folding a decent flopped or turned pair or draw (gutter+over) so his future bluffing potential is pretty low. and his 3bet ruins his implied odds (he cant cr the flop and get 2sb when he flops good.) and he is put in a bloated pot forced to bluff often oop. and since hes oop he gets blown off more hands.

yea, 3beting junk is stupid there imo. its super annoying when the hit [censored] tho.

anyway, i hope you put a raise in with 1010 hand.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Because if you were so weak-tight that you were folding most flops u got 3-bet before the flop, then reraising with any 2 cards against you might have made sense.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is exactly what I wanted to hear someone say.

If you raise QJ in the CO and a TAG button 3-bets you, c/folding a 7 high flop isn't terrible. You don't have 6 clean outs all that often, so the best EV play is usually folding even with the pot laying 7:1 or 8:1. Then, 2 hands after that you raise A9s, get cold-called by a TAG and the flop comes QJ3 with none of your suit. You bet, he raises, you fold. Sometimes you actually take a stand against your opponent, and this time he has top two or whatever. Blah, Blah, Blah....we've all been there.

So, this guy with the J8o sees that happen a few times and (what I believe is incorrectly) assumes that I'm weak-tight and A) can't possibly start with a pair and B) will continue to keep missing flops because I'm "running bad".

I think his logic is way off base and highly flawed, but you seem to understand it. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah his logic is highly flawed because you aren't a weak tight player. He's messing with the wrong guy, and I'm sure you will let him know that. I guess the most important thing to notice here is that he is in fact pulling this stuff on you, so that you can take advantage of it. Let him bet into you and checkraise the turn/river for value, even if with a somewhat marginal hand. After hes spewed enough chips, I think he will stop.

Even against a weak tight player though, isolating with J8o is a terribly risky and idiotic play. For weak tight players especially, a raise from MP represents a decent amount of strength. For this to work out, you would need the kind of bot like Dane S was talkign about, and I've never seen a player match that description.

And as for capping with hands like QJs, it makes perfect sense. OF course, any hand, any villain could have AA, but we're talking about his complete 3-betting range, not just one possible hand. And the point is, since he thinks you're a poor player, he has expanded his 3-betting range. Thus QJs is even more of a favorite against him, so the cap could even be justified as slight value (although this is probably the least important reason), but more importantly to show the 3-bettor that you can't be bullied, etc. and these reasons fall under shania i guess.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thus QJs is even more of a favorite against him, so the cap could even be justified as slight value (although this is probably the least important reason), but more importantly to show the 3-bettor that you can't be bullied, etc. and these reasons fall under shania i guess.

[/ QUOTE ]
Or tilt. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 12-18-2005, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thus QJs is even more of a favorite against him, so the cap could even be justified as slight value (although this is probably the least important reason), but more importantly to show the 3-bettor that you can't be bullied, etc. and these reasons fall under shania i guess.

[/ QUOTE ]
Or tilt. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

True, true.