Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-30-2005, 02:47 AM

Default HU Postflop play from BB...

This an area of my game that I have discovered to be -EV for me and I am trying to work through what my problems are. From the SB I am very aggressive both pre and post-flop, but go into a shell from the BB and seem to be giving away a lot of pots.

Scenario #1:
Equal Stacks
Big Blind is t400
SB limps, Hero checks.

Flop: 2c, 7s, Jh
Hero misses flop completely (8-high, no draw)

HU has been going on for only a couple of orbits, and this is the 2nd time he has limped. Avg player, not overly aggressive.

How often do you bet out here?
If Stacks are different and you have t2000, do you push any flop?
At what stack threshhold do you push any 2 preflop against a SB limper?

Just looking for tidbits on how you guys play from the BB in typical HU situations.

Thanks.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:00 AM

Default Re: HU Postflop play from BB...

When I get heads up early I like to do some small blind limping and min-raising from the BB when the SB limps just to get a feel for how he is going to play. What kind of hands does he limp with. What does his flop check mean? The answers to these questions will lead you to an answer. But when I'm unfamiliar with an opponent and especially with the blinds this big I'm usually not fooling around much post-flop.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:09 AM

I find that the most important thing in a HU STT situation -more so than the player's style - is what has happened in the previous HU hands. If I did not lead out and bet last hand on the flop I will in this spot (even with 8 high) more than half the time.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:18 AM

I like my aggression to be preflop and any postflop aggression is continuation.

I would check this flop most of the time.

Paired flops, Aces or K's in the flop then I can represent something. So I might bet more often in that case.

If they complete and I check then I also get a little passive. Use this early to get a feel for what villain does. HU play is about playing the player.

--
tjh
Old 12-30-2005, 03:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I find that the most important thing in a HU STT situation -more so than the player's style - is what has happened in the previous HU hands. If I did not lead out and bet last hand on the flop I will in this spot (even with 8 high) more than half the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well hero is BB so he can't lead out on the flop (in a sense taht he isn't first to act). And if villan is checking the flop a lot in these situations that would suggest he doesn't like his hand much and a bet could be in order.