Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-03-2005, 06:00 AM

Default 88 flop an overpair

Eurobet 5-10 Full table

BB is TAGish 20/6/1.5 over lots of hands. They are decent

UTG is 25/7/3 over a smaller sample, they are more of an unknown.

Hip is CO with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG limps, bunch of folds, I raise, bunch of folds, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop (3 players) 6.5sb

6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB bets, UTG raises, I 3-bet, BB calls, UTG caps, I call, BB calls

Turn (3 players) 9BB

Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB checks, UTG bets, I call, BB calls

River (3 players) 12BB

Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB checks, UTG bets, I call, BB folds.

14BB pot
Old 12-03-2005, 06:11 AM

Default Re: 88 flop an overpair

my first reaction was to coldcall the flop and reevaluate on the turn and raise the turn for free showdown (fold to a 3bet) or fold, depending on action (like facing two cold)...

putting UTG on a hand when he caps the flop is kinda tough for me, the only hands i can think of is 99 (assuming he would raise larger pairs, he most likely doesn't have these since he didn't 3bet pf) i suppose he could have A3 or 66 given his slight loose VPIP...
Old 12-03-2005, 06:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
my first reaction was to coldcall the flop and reevaluate on the turn and raise the turn for free showdown (fold to a 3bet) or fold, depending on action (like facing two cold)...

putting UTG on a hand when he caps the flop is kinda tough for me, the only hands i can think of is 99 (assuming he would raise larger pairs, he most likely doesn't have these since he didn't 3bet pf) i suppose he could have A3 or 66 given his slight loose VPIP...

[/ QUOTE ]

he has 66 here like never. it's not tricky enough to flop the nuts and play it that fast.

A3 is the only hand I'm worried about.

It's pretty obvious the BB has a flush draw. All I have to figure out is if UTG has some lame 6, or A3, or 99.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:38 AM

do you think that this guy is loose enough to have any 6 other than A6s or 66? also is he really capping a lone six against a preflop raiser that 3bet and a blind that bet into the preflop raiser on this board?
Old 12-03-2005, 06:53 AM

This is almost a fold but not quite. 25/7 is just not quite likely enough to have a 3. Plus that postflop agg means he could be going nutterbutter with A6s or something. Initially when I read this post I thought fold, but then looking back I just can't quite believe UTG has 66 or some weird 3 containinig hand enough.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:54 AM

Only a maniac would cap the lone 6 in this spot.
He could have hands like A3s, 66, 77, 99, TT and its really leaning towards an overpair.

I think its slim value, but i would raise the turn for a free sd here (and fold to a 3bet). Since you have done nothing but raised he may put you on a big pair and fold 99. You just have to hope he is overplaying something (like 77).

I dont think you should forgo the flop 3-bet in this spot. You have a vulnerable hand and UTG may (at that point) be raising 45 or two diamonds, that will not follow up on the turn.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:56 AM

I'd say the biggest concern is 99, followed by 66, TT(?) and A3s.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
do you think that this guy is loose enough to have any 6 other than A6s or 66? also is he really capping a lone six against a preflop raiser that 3bet and a blind that bet into the preflop raiser on this board?

[/ QUOTE ]

he had 22, does that answer your ?
Old 12-03-2005, 07:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He could have hands like A3s, 66, 77, 99, TT and its really leaning towards an overpair.

I think its slim value, but i would raise the turn for a free sd here (and fold to a 3bet). Since you have done nothing but raised he may put you on a big pair and fold 99. You just have to hope he is overplaying something (like 77).

I dont think you should forgo the flop 3-bet in this spot. You have a vulnerable hand and UTG may (at that point) be raising 45 or two diamonds, that will not follow up on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

raising the turn here doesn't do much

i'm pretty sure the BB doesn't have a 3. If they have a flush draw, which looks likely, they aren't folding to a raise, and if UTG has some weird hand witha 3, I'm going to get 3 bet.

Also, I'm fairly certain UTG thinks I have naked overs here.

People on the New Eurobet love bluffing chips off at me.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

raising the turn here doesn't do much

i'm pretty sure the BB doesn't have a 3. If they have a flush draw, which looks likely, they aren't folding to a raise, and if UTG has some weird hand witha 3, I'm going to get 3 bet.

Also, I'm fairly certain UTG thinks I have naked overs here.

People on the New Eurobet love bluffing chips off at me.

[/ QUOTE ]

The more reason to raise! (the turn)

If someone (most likely BB) is on a flush draw, you want him to pay as much as possible. The raise is not for protection against the FD, but for value.

If UTG has some weird hand witha 3, as you say, then you got 2 outs and is therefore happy to fold against his 3-bet.

And if he has got naked overs here, then you want him to fold, he has the odds to draw so make him pay as much as possible for the draw, and if he folds - even better.

And it really takes a maniac to bluff 3-bet against you here. You have done nothing but show strength, the risk of getting bluffed out is like 0.5%.