Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION

Old 09-09-2005, 10:12 AM

Default Re: So is this strange? Should I have a reaction?

in effect, this seems to me to be "spamming" (in a loose sense of the word) by pm, something that isn't allowed here

i'm sure quite a bit of spamming by pm goes on that no one ever hears about

however, when it is reported, i think the "spammer" should be warned to cease, at the very least - although i believe that many other mods would ban most spam perps, immediately

personally, i think open thread discussion about such an "extra" forum would be fairer to all parties directly concerned, whereas unsolicited pm invitations, etc, should not be agreed as being acceptable - for the reason of not setting a (woolly) precedent, if nothing else
Old 09-09-2005, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know, with some of the best strategy posters on the forum leaving...

[/ QUOTE ]

Did someone say they're leaving?

[/ QUOTE ]

When was the last time you saw bruiser, SpicyF or astroglide post poker strategy? And that's just off the top of my head, I would have to look to check on some others...

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't noticed them around as much for quite some time, but my impression is that the new forum has been just starting up in the last week or two. So at a glance that doesn't suggest to me a correlation or causation regarding the posters mentioned spending less time here.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I haven't noticed them around as much for quite some time, but my impression is that the new forum has been just starting up in the last week or two. So at a glance that doesn't suggest to me a correlation or causation regarding the posters mentioned spending less time here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:44 PM

Hello Mat,

The site it 100% nonprofit. You will never ever see an advertisement on the forum. 2+2 is the greatest site on the planet. We all feel that way. None of us have any intent on leaving and we've tried very hard to make sure that nobody does.

Many of us talk via aim or IRC just to get away from a lot of the noise and random posters. There have been many threads in the past about limiting posting rights and they have been extremely unpopular. 2+2's defense every time was "make your own forum". So, many of us sick of IRC and wanting a bit of privacy have.

We mean no harm and the last thing we want to do is steal from 2+2. It's more of a replacement for IRC or aim than anything else and even that won't completely happen.

Again the site runs at cost and the second an advertisement pops up feel free to delete my 2+2 account. Btw, a former moderator also has thought you might be interested as you would be able to post whatever you want.

Take care,

wacki
Old 09-09-2005, 01:44 PM

the forum got started 4 days ago.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:55 PM

Getting back to my original post, I think the bigger issue here is thinking about ways that we can enhance the content of the forums to make it more worthwhile for the more veteran posters to make this their exclusive poker discussion site. After all, what good is it to many of us if the top posters go off and discuss the really insightful stuff on another board even if they come back to 2+2 every now and then to answer some basic question.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Getting back to my original post, I think the bigger issue here is thinking about ways that we can enhance the content of the forums to make it more worthwhile for the more veteran posters to make this their exclusive poker discussion site.

[/ QUOTE ]

How to do that is a fair question, Lloyd...but I think it's not so much about "enhancing the content"--there's plenty of content here--but rather that it's sometimes hard to get to that content quickly and efficiently because of noise and due to the volume of newer players/posters.

2+2's site is bound to keep drawing in more and more newbies--which is great for 2+2's sales--but it also has the inevitable effect of watering down the percentage of threads and posts with choice content.

The bigger the site gets, the more this may be a problem, unless someone can come up with a really creative solution.

An idea just occurred to me, something along the lines of a color-coded rating system for threads, or else perhaps an "advanced" forum for advanced strategic discussion only. Off the top of my head, I don't see just how either of those ideas would work very well, and I can envision some problems as well. But just maybe, some idea along those lines can be tweaked enough to make it worthwhile. I'm not particularly optimistic that there is really any way to greatly reduce the "watering-down" factor, though. Still, there might be. Something worth thinking about, anyway.