Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2005, 10:33 PM

Default Do Fish Feel Pain? Who Cares?

Inspired by the Dead vs peach battle.

An interesting study which happens to be the first hit on Google for my search:

Fish DO feel pain

And of course there are some asinine comments by the terrorist support group known as PETA. This is not surprising, and is quite up to their "standard".

EDIT:

Interestingly, fish don't feel pain in February 2003

but do feel pain in April 2003

Sounds conclusive to me...
Old 05-21-2005, 10:36 PM

Default Re: Do Fish Feel Pain? Who Cares?

but u still love me!! and im always right!!! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-21-2005, 10:39 PM

i do care to be quite honest, although not enough to do much about it. i remember seeing kids torture worms as kids, cutting them in half just because it was funny to see 1 worm become two. i would tell them to stop it because worms feel pain too.

i really dont know what the difference is between hurting another human or hurting an animal. either way, they are not you so you shouldnt care right? just because a human is smarter doesnt mean his pain is any different than a fish's pain.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i do care to be quite honest, although not enough to do much about it. i remember seeing kids torture worms as kids, cutting them in half just because it was funny to see 1 worm become two. i would tell them to stop it because worms feel pain too.

i really dont know what the difference is between hurting another human or hurting an animal. either way, they are not you so you shouldnt care right? just because a human is smarter doesnt mean his pain is any different than a fish's pain.

[/ QUOTE ]

So when a shark eats another fish, do you think other sharks are swimming around saying "man, that just ain't right".

Or when a bear grabs a baby out of a stroller (see my response in the hunting thread), the other bears are saying, "dude, you really shouldn't do that".

You "caring" is a human emotion, and ultimately I would say it just means that fishing/hunting are not for you.

I don't fish or hunt because I think its "funny" to watch something struggle or die. In fact, I spend countless hours practicing with a variety of weapons for the various hunting season to ensure my kills are as quick and painless as possible.

In respect to variance in pain "felt", there is a significant difference between wild animals and humans ability to "feel" pain. Furthermore one animal being smarter than another animar is irrelative in attempts to gauge fairness or equality in nature because there is no fairness or equality in nature. Not understanding this is simply not understanding science or life.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:51 PM

i posted in another thread a few minutes ago about how i dont think its appropriate for people to tell other people what the y should or should not believe in. i guess if you want to torture animals i might lose some sleep over it, but it is not my place to hit you over the head with a 2x4 and tell you to stop. i am not a vegetarian, i eat meat regularly. i eat chicken all the time. animals feel pain and we need to eat animals. its the way of life. im not saying you should never hurt an animal, but unnecessary torture is ridiculous. to me, the process of making veal is ludacris and plain wrong, but if you want to eat veal then go ahead. hey ive eaten in the past myself and will in the future now and then.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds conclusive to me...

[/ QUOTE ]

More like a typical reporter screwing up what the scientific consensus really is.

[ QUOTE ]
Or when a bear grabs a baby out of a stroller (see my response in the hunting thread), the other bears are saying, "dude, you really shouldn't do that".

You "caring" is a human emotion, and ultimately I would say it just means that fishing/hunting are not for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Humans are not the only animal that are capable of caring about the welfare of other animals. Dogs, dolphins, cats, whales, and even bears all have a long and well documented history of caring for not only humans but lesser forms of animal life as well. Please keep in mind not all of these animals, just like not all humans, behave this way.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i would tell them to stop it because worms feel pain too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually they don't. They sense stress but not pain in the way that you or I do.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i would tell them to stop it because worms feel pain too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually they don't. They sense stress but not pain in the way that you or I do.

[/ QUOTE ]

they have 5 hearts...thier good to go [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-21-2005, 11:03 PM

Default Deleted

Deleted, I'm not intelligent enough.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In respect to variance in pain "felt", there is a significant difference between wild animals and humans ability to "feel" pain.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL