Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2004, 04:49 PM

Default Re: AT as BB facing a raise

I don't think 3-betting is correct in this spot because you are either way ahead or way behind.

If you are way ahead of say, QQ, and this player is the type to be able to fold, then 3-betting is clearly incorrect. Let him "value" bet his worser hand and incorrectly try to catch a Q. But if he will call you down, then I can see 3-betting.

If you are way behind, then it's pretty obvious why you shouldn't 3-bet. Either way it's a case of losing the least when behind and winning the maximum when ahead.

Either way though, you must see a showdown in this hand. You simply cannot fold this.
Old 07-26-2004, 04:50 PM

Wow, I'm not sure I can do that, except against a complete rock. Interesting.
Old 07-26-2004, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think folding to this preflop raise is horrible. I may even three bet depending what I think of the raiser.

[/ QUOTE ]

You play too loose.
Old 07-26-2004, 04:52 PM

Now I agree with all of this.
Old 07-26-2004, 04:53 PM

The only way I feel 3 betting would be correct in this situation is if I was willing to lay the hand down if he capped (thus, assuming HHIG, I'd only lose 2 SB rather than losing 1 SB + 2 BB by calling the flop and check-calling to the river). I have no idea if this would be a good play or not; if I did, I'd be answering questions here rather than asking them [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 07-26-2004, 04:58 PM

If you're going to call pre-flop, I assume you're not worried about being up against a better Ace.

Since that worry isn't there, you shouldn't have any reason to believe your hand isn't good after the flop hits you upside the head.

If I was in this situation, (which I wouldn't be because I folded already :P ), I would check/call the flop and turn, then bet the river.
Old 07-26-2004, 04:59 PM

See, I would think that 3-betting here for a SB would be a cheaper way to find out just how I am doing? A call nearly guarantees that I am ahead, but a raise *should* show that he isn't afraid of the ace. I can't give him credit for the ace yet, but I think a flop 3-bet is a cheap way to get an idea if he is holding it. Perhaps it should be known that I just lost a hand almost exactly like this last night, so this situation and my loss is still fresh on my mind.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:01 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Well, I wasn't overly worried about an ace. That is, of course, until he raised me on the flop (which is the whole point of this thread).
Old 07-26-2004, 05:03 PM

If you 3-bet the flop and he caps, you call because of your full house outs, and the small chance that he's going ballistic with KK/QQ or even AT. Remember, if the board pairs again you chop with another ace also.

Regarding the PF play - if one assumes a sane player his pf raising standards will be something like:
AA-JJ
AK/AQ/AJ/AT

you said that he also raises mid pps. However, pf it is more likely that he will have an ace with a better kicker (because of the # of ways they can be made) or a high PP (both of which have you dominated) than a mid PP. Given that, I think it's a pretty safe fold. If there were some coldcallers it would be worth your while given the increased odds.

Surf
Old 07-26-2004, 05:04 PM

That's why I fold.

Imagine if there had been only one Ace on the flop, (which is far more likely than two).