Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 08-26-2005, 01:15 AM

Default 99 flop a set, monotone board

Party 2-4 9 players

Hip is button with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG limps, MP2 limps, MP3 limps, a few folds, Hip raises, blinds call, limpers call.

Flop (6 players) 12SB

Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB checks, BB bets, UTG calls, MP1 raises, MP2 calls, Hip...?

I'm thinking here I 3bet it now, or, raise/3-bet any non-spade, K, T, or 8.

Which way is the best way to go from here.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:38 AM

Default Re: 99 flop a set, monotone board

I think I'd 3-bet it now. But my default is to play sets fast. I can see waiting here instead.

In any event, although I like my hand, I wouldn't be feeling very comfortable at this point. The interest being shown in this scary flop makes two things more likely than usual: (1) You could be drawing already. (2) Your boat outs could be less plentiful than you'd like them to be (some of them may be in your opponents' hands) and could even be tainted (if someone holds QJ).
Old 08-26-2005, 02:40 AM

I would 3bet this. There is a good possibility you are still ahead in the hand. Seeing how the preflop action went, I think QQ and JJ are out of the picture. It was played pretty passively preflop for those hands to be out, but I have seen people limp before hoping to hit a set and the flop brings them a set on a really really coordinated board, and then they spring to life and just bet the crap out of everything to hopefully kill any draws.

There is also a chance that someone has either a flush (non-nut), a nut flush, or a straight. Yet the only way you are going to find out on this board is to 3bet this flop and look for a cap. Even them if it was capped, I would raise on the turn to be sure that you are beaten.

Yet I find it unlikely that the nut flush might be out against you. If the BB had it, he certainly could of slowplayed it from his position, as well as MP1. If someone did flop a better hand against you, I would have to say that a straight it probably more in line with the action so far. There could also be a baby flush out there and someone is raising to make sure a 4th spade doesn't fall and a one card flush beats him/her.

Even if you are behind though, I'm going to call this down to the end. There is chance you could boat up in this hand and win a huge pot. The implied odds are just massive it seems with all the action thus far.

3bet flop.

Bet/raise the turn to see where you are at if a non spade card falls.

Hows that sound?
Old 08-26-2005, 02:46 AM

I'd 3bet now. There are a lot of turn cards that won't make raising happy. Also, if you're behind, you want to know now before you go putting in 3bets on a big street.