Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-28-2005, 12:26 AM

Default K high river call

MP is 58/10/1 and loves to donkbet pairs, I hadnt seen him do it with a draw or crap yet. BB is 42/9/.9 and if I had any reads on him, I dont remember what they were

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, MP calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP checks, Hero checks.

River: (6.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.25 BB
Old 12-28-2005, 06:53 AM

Default Re: K high river call

I kinda like it. Flush draw or OESD on the flop make up a good amount of his range and he might take a stab with it on the river. Itīs still close because if he cant beat your hand he knows that both of you absolutely have to fold to win this pot. He is bluffing here some of the time, 1 in 7, maybe..
I think its a good call although it sucks to lose to a busted A-high-FD.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:59 AM

conversely, do you think villain is making a profitable play if he's bluffing here (obviously not if K high is calling, but usually it isn't)?

His flop c/r can't be a free card raise because he's OOP but it could be an equity push with an OESD+FD.

With low aggression numbers, he's probably not c/r that protected flop without a pair. Maybe then he got scared on the turn and value bet the river.

I'm probably folding an ace here a lot of the time as well.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:25 AM

I fold that river
Old 12-28-2005, 11:38 AM

Given BB's stats, he isn't particularly aggressive postflop. At .9, a CR seems pretty strong, but a draw isn't out of the question just seems odd for a .9. When MP folds out despite your turn check, it seems like he was more so the one drawing, perhaps something like J8o or some low pair. I'm not sure if BB is aggressive enough to bet this on a bluff, you are ahead of whiffed flush draws other than the AcXc or KcQc...again neither of which I think a .9 is betting on the river.

I'd fold, I don't expect to be good here with K high, but I think you are posting it because you made a godlike call with K high and are happy about it! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2005, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'd fold, I don't expect to be good here with K high, but I think you are posting it because you made a godlike call with K high and are happy about it! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

heh, I wish. He showed the flop straight, and I felt kinda dumb for calling with K high. But thought my reasons for doing so still might have been valid

I just couldnt figure out why if he had a strong c/r hand, he would check the blankest turn in the world. I know .9 isnt very high, but he also has the stats indicative of a retarded player, so I wasnt really ready to give him credit for strength and figured it just as easily could have been some draw he was pumpng that I could beat. But I think everyone is right in the fact, it would be a pretty bad spot for him to bluff the river. But then again, retards dont think about that. Tho I suppose only retards assume so much about someone because of crappy stats, and this would maybe be a good play if I had a read he was actually the retard I imagined him to be [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2005, 02:31 PM

I can't figure out the turn CR unless he was smart enough to pretend to represent the flush draw and know MP was going to bet the turn again (with or without a hand) and could go for the double CR. Of course if he had the clubs as well, I don't mind his check at all, unless he was sure his raise would push out a weaker hand that didn't have a redraw or betting, and 3-betting would as well.

Hard to read someone like that but the .9 stood out to me with his flop CR and his river bet looks like an "I have a hand" value bet rather than a complete bluff.

Interestingly, I thought about the flopped straight when he CRed, but the turn check does throw you off in respect to that hand. Checking with a straight when you have the clubs out there looks somewhat dangerous but it's only 3 handed, but I don't think a player as loose as him is thinking at any of those levels. Maybe he misclicked! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2005, 09:28 PM

I'd raise the flop to both knock BB out and take a free card on the turn.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:18 PM

i understand your logic, but I don't think that's a good idea at 10/20 with these players.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:34 PM

Now that I think about it I don't have much to show for my free card attempts lately. Against the right opponent though I still like the raise.