Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2004, 05:20 PM

Default Putting an Opponent on Tilt in Cyberspace?

I do not get upset with bad beats in B&M anymore but being new in internet poker, sometimes I try to vent out steam but quite mildly like slamming my fist on the table, stomping my feet, etc. Heck, even my mother or my niece won't hear me in my room.

Playing a 2-4 at Pokerroom, the player 3 to my left, while on the button, called my PF raise with KK and called me all the way to the river on a what looked to me like a ragged board with no overcard to my KK. I can't recall exactly what it was but I remembered being beaten with a runner-runner straight with him showing a J4o. Instead of my usual antics, I typed "nice chase, bustah". No reply. A few hands later, I raised with AQs and the same opponent was the only caller. I bet out on a ragged flop and he folded. I typed:"No chase this time, bustah"? Reply came: "*%$(*&F...k u *&^F****got". An orbit later, he raised UTG, folded to me and I 3-bet with AA, he capped. Heads up.

Flopped was A K 7. He bets, and thinking what he was representing at least an A, I raised, he made it 3, I called.

Turn was another A. He checked, I bet, raise, re-raise, cap.

River - brick. He came out swinging again. I raised, got re-raised and I capped.

He tried to get me for the next hour or so until he left after going broke.

Old 01-29-2004, 07:40 PM

Default Re: Putting an Opponent on Tilt in Cyberspace?

And your point?

Internet anonymity strikes again it seems. People tend to say things on the net they wouldn't say in person. This is an example. I think you are trying to imply that it's a good thing to say things to rattle your opponents but the reality of it is that you should treat everyone as you would like to be treated.

That's the way my momma raised me.

ps. If I misinterpreted the intent of your post I'm sorry.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:55 PM

the reality of it is that you should treat everyone as you would like to be treated.

Do you like to be lectured on how you should treat people? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-29-2004, 08:24 PM

There is a mild advantage on occasionally putting susceptible individuals on tilt online. However, officially this is probably "not good." Tho I must say, I aint always Mr. Nice online, especially not if an opponent asks for it. Just don't piss of the rest of the fish at the table doing it.

al
Old 01-30-2004, 10:38 AM

Cardplayer.com and cardrooms currently have "Part I, Avoiding It," of my four part series on tilt. "Part I, Creating It," will appear in a few weeks. Matt Lessinger has an article about exploiting tilt online in the online poker news. You can access it through cardplayer.com. I encourage all of you to read as much as you can about tilt. It has an immense impact on the game. In fact, if you can't control it, tilt can literally destroy you. Also, as Matt points out so well, online tilt is MUCH more dangerous and MUCH more common.
Regards,
Al