Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2005, 07:40 AM

Default Re: Guatemala.....

[ QUOTE ]
Im taking little money and ill even be weary to carry my camera or phone on me (although my phone may be needed if something happens ggrrr)

[/ QUOTE ]
I havn't been to Guetemala or indeed anywhere in Central Amerika. But I have been to some out-of-the-way places in South East Asia. The by far best way to carry money for me has been a combination of a pouch you have hanging from your belt on the inside of your pants and a money-belt with a zipped pocket on the inside of the belt.
The pouch is barely visible and almost impossible to steal without making you strip. And even if someone makes you strip to get the pouch chanses are they'll not find the belt.

Usually I've had a couple of hundred US$ (in 20:s or so)in the belt to take care of emergencies and the bulk of my money in the pouch together with passport and any other vital document you are carrying. Of course you don't need that much money if you don't expect to go very far from the nearest bank.

When on the move or staying at basic hostels/guesthouses I normally never let my passport leave touch of my body.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:28 PM

no other advice?? hhrrmm
Old 05-26-2005, 08:29 PM

Cheap llello.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cheap llello.

[/ QUOTE ]

coke???
Old 05-26-2005, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no other advice?? hhrrmm

[/ QUOTE ]

Wish I could help, I've never left North America and only been to 7 states.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:21 AM

OK...im bumping this b/c i leave in less than a week...and im getting a lil nervous that im gonna forget something important....

Ive already started packing...but any input would be greatly appreciated
Old 06-08-2005, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
no other advice?? hhrrmm

[/ QUOTE ]

Wish I could help, I've never left North America and only been to 7 states.

[/ QUOTE ]

After last week I've been to 9 states now!
Old 06-08-2005, 01:04 AM

I've travelled in quite a few developing countries where I wasn't so sure ahead of time about the food situation. Particularly if you have even more reason than normal to be concerned about food, I'd pack a bit to take with you. Stuff like individually-packaged granola or nutrition bars, trail mix, stuff like this that's light and easy to pack and take with you on day trips, but also somewhat nutritional. But I'm sure you'll be fine. Trying to be as open minded about local food as you can will help you a lot, though. Good luck.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've travelled in quite a few developing countries where I wasn't so sure ahead of time about the food situation. Particularly if you have even more reason than normal to be concerned about food, I'd pack a bit to take with you. Stuff like individually-packaged granola or nutrition bars, trail mix, stuff like this that's light and easy to pack and take with you on day trips, but also somewhat nutritional. But I'm sure you'll be fine. Trying to be as open minded about local food as you can will help you a lot, though. Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

heheh well thats a no can do [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] cause we r only allowed to take ONE bag for the WHOLE month ::sobs:: I have already brought myself to the realization that the hairdryer, straighter and many pairs of shoes r gettin left behind [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 06-08-2005, 01:23 AM

I did something like this when I was in school, except in Ecuador, but I've been to Guatamala, and I can tell you, you've got nothing to worry about.

If others have done work in this town before, the family has probably hosted. They will be gracious and want to impress you. Be unfailingly polite when you get there. Bring snapshots of your house, your friends, postcards of your city...great first day ice breakers, especially as you won't be able to speak so well.

About the language, spend the next week concentrating on words and phrases, screw grammar. The family will apreciate the effort your making, as long as your trying, and will probably enjoy laughing at your screwups. Get the Lonely Planet phrasebook. Perfect for what you need. Learn how to say, "Como se dice?"

Get involved with the locals to show your just like them. Luckily, I'm a dude, so I just had to drink incredible amounts of booze, and hook myself to a battery without screaming. As a chick, it will probably involve sewing or cooking...so is life. If you like kids, they will love you. Play soccer with them, act goofy...stupid Americans warm there heart.

Don't count on your phone, but, really, don't fear something happening either. My city has a higher crime rate than anywhere you'll be living, I'm sure. Weekend travel should not be a problem, busses go anywhere, and the even without spanish, you can get where you want.

Picky eating will be a problem at first, no doubt. My host grandmother practically broke down in tears when I couldn't finish an avocado the size of my head.

Allright, all of that just to say have no fear, as long as your not gonna be homesick and whiny, I don't know anyone who has not had a bad time doing one of these things. Good luck.