Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2005, 04:02 AM

Default Guatemala.....

Ok...i made a post some time ago when i was thinking i was probably going and its now 100% certain and the date is getting close.

So anything i should remember to take or any advice from people that have traveled there or other central/south american countries around this area (that are not typical vacation areas) Obviously where I am going isnt similar to basic tourism....

Im not nervous...but i think i should be...we have 2 prep meetings in the beginning of June which I can ask ?s but i was bored and started making a list now...and im one of those super prepare ahead of time people for a trip like this [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Im pretty fleuent in french but dont know much spanish....so i think im already in trouble...
Old 05-26-2005, 04:08 AM

Default Re: Guatemala.....

What do you look like? Are you Irish(super white guy? Who are you going with? Why are you going? These things all make a difference. If you dont speak spanish already then you will be kinda lost unless you are going with someone who speaks spanish. Dont carry a ton of money around with you. If you are going with people native to that country then it would obviously be much easier. Ask the people in your hotel where you should and shouldnt go. You will be fine. Have fun!
Old 05-26-2005, 04:16 AM

First off im a GIRL!!!

Yeah i know basic stuff...im not a total tardo! I have some american indian in me so i stay pretty tan and i have dark hair/eyes BUT i recently re-highlighted my hair...i FORGOT i was going...so ill semi blend [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Im taking little money and ill even be weary to carry my camera or phone on me (although my phone may be needed if something happens ggrrr)

Its for field work...YAY me i get to go there blah! Most others get to go to like madrid...cambridge...washtington, etc. I asked if i could go to S. Africa but they denied it, the conditions arent much better but at least i speak french (in the areas i would have gone this is the language).

Its me and 2 other girls going with one male grad student going whos from i believe el savador (which will help a little). Hotels can be dangerous so they have seperated us throughout the village to live with families (which we must eat all our meals with) which also presents a problem b/c of my langauge barrier and the fact that im an extremely picky eater (ive got medical probs as well) hhahaha

We have our weekends free but travel is dangerous to the max....soooooo i dunno [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2005, 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First off im a GIRL!!!

Yeah i know basic stuff...im not a total tardo! I have some american indian in me so i stay pretty tan and i have dark hair/eyes BUT i recently re-highlighted my hair...i FORGOT i was going...so ill semi blend [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Im taking little money and ill even be weary to carry my camera or phone on me (although my phone may be needed if something happens ggrrr)

Its for field work...YAY me i get to go there blah! Most others get to go to like madrid...cambridge...washtington, etc. I asked if i could go to S. Africa but they denied it, the conditions arent much better but at least i speak french (in the areas i would have gone this is the language).

Its me and 2 other girls going with one male grad student going whos from i believe el savador (which will help a little). Hotels can be dangerous so they have seperated us throughout the village to live with families (which we must eat all our meals with) which also presents a problem b/c of my langauge barrier and the fact that im an extremely picky eater (ive got medical probs as well) hhahaha

We have our weekends free but travel is dangerous to the max....soooooo i dunno [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

This post feels like it needs more ellipses.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:36 AM

Well, being a girl with highlights in her hair probably wont help but if you are going with one guy from El Salvador then you will be alright when you are doing whatever you are going there to do. He probably wont know the area but at least you will have one spanish speaker with you.

[ QUOTE ]
Hotels can be dangerous so they have seperated us throughout the village to live with families (which we must eat all our meals with) which also presents a problem b/c of my langauge barrier and the fact that im an extremely picky eater (ive got medical probs as well) hhahaha

[/ QUOTE ]

bueno suerte! Serouisly, I dont know what type of families you are going to be staying with but if you dont speak spanish and are a picky eater you might have some problems. I am sure its not as bad as I am making it seem and you will probably have a great time but there are going to be a lot of times where you arent going to know what is happening. Having studied spanish for a couple years in HS/college and having to apply that spanish are two totally different things. I would imagine the families you are going to be put with are probably higher class and probably have a english speaker or two in the family though. I highly doubt they would drop you in the middle of a thrid-world country living with some poor family who doesnt speak a word of english.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:39 AM

Have fun peachy. It's good to be more alert in a foreign country because people will see you and know you're an American. But the chances of something truly bad happening are slim.

You say you are a picky eater, well the family you stay with will almost assuredly be VERY hospitable, and if you don't eat their food they will probably be somewhat hurt by this. So I would try my best to eat well and at least try all the new dishes. You will be surprised by many.

Also I would get a friend of yours who speaks Spanish to help you write a letter in Spanish to the family you are staying with explaining to them that you haven't yet learned their language. You can give this to them when you arrive. Also you can thank them for housing you, tell them some things about yourself. This will be a good icebreaker and things will be a little less tense when there isn't much talking going on.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:43 AM

Be sure to drink plenty of the local water [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2005, 04:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, being a girl with highlights in her hair probably wont help but if you are going with one guy from El Salvador then you will be alright when you are doing whatever you are going there to do. He probably wont know the area but at least you will have one spanish speaker with you.

[ QUOTE ]
Hotels can be dangerous so they have seperated us throughout the village to live with families (which we must eat all our meals with) which also presents a problem b/c of my langauge barrier and the fact that im an extremely picky eater (ive got medical probs as well) hhahaha

[/ QUOTE ]

bueno suerte! Serouisly, I dont know what type of families you are going to be staying with but if you dont speak spanish and are a picky eater you might have some problems. I am sure its not as bad as I am making it seem and you will probably have a great time but there are going to be a lot of times where you arent going to know what is happening. Having studied spanish for a couple years in HS/college and having to apply that spanish are two totally different things. I would imagine the families you are going to be put with are probably higher class and probably have a english speaker or two in the family though. I highly doubt they would drop you in the middle of a thrid-world country living with some poor family who doesnt speak a word of english.

[/ QUOTE ]

nope...totally the opposite...its lower class village people
Old 05-26-2005, 04:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Have fun peachy. It's good to be more alert in a foreign country because people will see you and know you're an American. But the chances of something truly bad happening are slim.

You say you are a picky eater, well the family you stay with will almost assuredly be VERY hospitable, and if you don't eat their food they will probably be somewhat hurt by this. So I would try my best to eat well and at least try all the new dishes. You will be surprised by many.

Also I would get a friend of yours who speaks Spanish to help you write a letter in Spanish to the family you are staying with explaining to them that you haven't yet learned their language. You can give this to them when you arrive. Also you can thank them for housing you, tell them some things about yourself. This will be a good icebreaker and things will be a little less tense when there isn't much talking going on.

[/ QUOTE ]

im a picky eater anyway...but more so because of medical reasons...so i really cant control it [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2005, 05:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Be sure to drink plenty of the local water [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, nothing like a central american vacation with the shits.