Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 12:48 PM

Default Re: When and why should you raise to > 3xBB preflop online?

Good answer.

I have a slight disagreement though which may be entirely stylistic. Lately I've been playing much tighter during the earlier stages of the tournament. This is for several reasons. One, I usually don't have a strong read on my opponents yet. Two, any chips I gain now will mostly become meaningless later on in a tourney. Consequently by raising greater than 3x the BB I'm usually building a larger pot. At this stage in the tourney, losing half my stick hurts me comparatively more than increasing my stack by 50%. At least in my opinion.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:54 PM

No limpers. In my situation it's folded around to you.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:57 PM

My question was intentionally broad. I'm interested in the theory.

Good answer. Definitely something I didn't think about.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:57 PM

Good answer. Something else I didn't think about.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:12 PM

Great answers. Couldn't it be argued though that an observant player would be able to narrow your hand range down because of this play? For example, based on your answers I might be able to tell that given your position and the table dynamics, a larger than 3x raise from you indicates either a steal or a monster?
Old 11-02-2005, 01:12 PM

When there are antes you also need to raise a bit more to deny BB from having pot odds to call with a lot of hands.

Sometimes even when you've got a mediumish stack say 12 to 18x pushing is right to prevent resteals or because you've got a hand you aren't folding anyway and you want to maximize folding equity.

It's also right to push even deep stacks in bubble/itm setting when you know that a thinking villain that understands ICM won't call without AA/KK because they move up considerably in pay when one of the micro stacks at the table busts.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:14 PM

1-Stack Sizes
2-Blinds
3-Blinds Structure
4-Table Image
5-Your Hand
(not in importance order)

Early in a tournament, with a pp (QQ+), you may want to raise more pre-flop so the opponents may have find harder to fold later in the hand when the pot is bigger than when you raise with 3xBB. You can get calls with 8xBB or even more when there's is limpers.

Early with KQ or A10 or AJ, 3 x BB is fine, so you play a decent pot but shouldn't end up playing your stack with it.

When there's limpers, have you may have read, the rule of thumbs is 3xBB + number of limpers.

When the blinds are high, they become a higher % of the stack, so you don't need to raise as much to commit people in a pot.

Your raise should be proportional to the stck size against a chip leader or as a chip leader, you should raise more.

If you have a tight image, raise less to be called or more not to be called and use your image. Loose, bet more to be called or as much as usually...

Also, follow the table, if the stabdard raise is 2xBB, and Blinds fold to it, you may not need to raise 3xBB, or if standard is 3xBB and people call, raise 5xBB if you want to steal.

You wanted a general answer, you can get as many situationa s you want ehere the raise should change.

Blinds are 50-100, why not raise to 333 (type it, instead of clicking it), poeple will think about it... Or round your stack to the nearest thounsads with a raise...make people think why you are doing that and what does that means...
Old 11-02-2005, 06:38 PM

If you play on a site with a "bet pot" button and as a result the standard raises are to 3.5 times the BB.