Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 04:06 AM

Default play in a large field

i spend most of my time playing at 3/6 tables on empire and pacific. on occassions there are times when 8 or more (on very rare occassions all 10) players see the flop. what i have noticed is that when someone wins with either a pair, two, or trips often times it is with low ranking cards.

from this i gather that what most often occurs in these super-large fields is that all of the broadway cards and combinations thereof have already been dealt out and so the board often-times looks like crap. strangley enough, this seems to give better advantage to lower ranking cards.

from early position preflop there seems to be little that one can do to work this to his/her advantage, but from late position it seems beneficial to play with any two cards, especially cards like mid-level connectors, mid rank-suited cards and even one or two-gap suited connectors. for various reasons (with the possible exception of the flush cards b/c it is very likely to make the hand and still be beat or make the hand on the flop and be suseptible to your opponents redrawing power) smaller cards and smaller connectors that you would not normally play seem to gain much strength in late position. this is amplified by the fact that many people stay around to see the turn and river even though they have nothing (and sometimes very little possibility of anything) simply because the pot has gotten to be very large.

what do you guys/gals think?
Old 06-22-2005, 07:36 AM

Default Re: play in a large field

I can't believe I read such a long post to pick up a piece of "poker common sense".

Check out the starting hand chart in SSHE by position. You'll see that in late position it is correct to play suited connectors down to 54, especially in multi way pots.

Good luck,
Matt
Old 06-22-2005, 10:00 AM

You kind of have the right idea, but for the wrong reasons. The multiway pots you play in often don't indicate that lots of aces and kings are out of the deck; more likely, it means you're against bad players who will play any two (or at least, way too many hands).

But your solution was still correct. From late position in multi-way pots, you can add a lot of suited connectors and such; SSHE's preflop suggestions reflect this. You're getting strong implied odds, since you can dump your hand on the vast majority of flops, but extract extra bets when you hit a hand/strong draw.

Make sure your hand is suited though. One of the most common preflop mistakes people make is playing hands like T9 and 87.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:46 PM

wow, amazing reponse. im so glad that you provided me with that extremely profound--ahem, i mean texkbook--answer (yes... i think we have all read sshe) but you missed my point. the post was about limiting the field in terms of what opponents may have and an inquiry into how many "good" starting hands become less-than-ideal because the broadway cards are sometimes all used up.

i think id like to make a general point about how many people provide negative responses to people making valid points and questions. i think we are all here to learn and help each other and not to say crap like 'i cant believe i read such a long post for a piece of poker common sense'. i dont understand the point of sarcasm in the forums unless it is obviously a joke or called for. but again, being that you missed the point of my post, you just come off like an a-hole and this is a waste of time for everyone.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:49 PM

right, that makes alot of sense. but i was trying to specifically focus on the times when you are at a relatively tight table (or a table with a good amount of tag players) and the few occassions where the fields are, in fact, full. you are defintely correct in saying that it usually means alot of bad players, but what do you think it would indicate when the field is full of "good" players? sorry, i didnt make that too clear in my post.