Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2005, 09:46 AM

Default All-in first hand

For each of the two scenarios below, what do you do in the first hand of a 22 with KK, QQ, or AK?

1) 2 folds, Hero raises to 60, 3 folds, Villain raises to 200, folded to Hero, Hero ???

2) 2 folds, Villain raises to 60, 3 folds, Hero raises to 200, folded to Villain who pushes, Hero ???
Old 04-13-2005, 09:56 AM

Default Re: All-in first hand

My $0.02

1)Call, bet 200 after the flop. If re-raised, call unless (KK) A on board, (QQ) A or K on board, (AK) unimproved.
Yeah, if you fold you'll only be at 400, but that's better than out, and you'll probably get a chance to double before the blinds kill you. If he re-raises with that stuff on the board, you're probably beat.

2) (KK) This rules, call. (QQ) I'll clench my teeth and call here. I play 22's and less, I doubt this is right higer up, but I think you'll get more JJ, AQ, and aggro crazies with worse enough times to tip the scales to call here. (AK) Same as QQ. Some probably disagree about putting the game on the line at what may be a coinflip here, but again, at the 22's and less, I think you win this more than you lose.

Anyone disagree? I'm still doing a lot of learning myself.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:11 AM

1) Push with QQ and KK. Call and see with AK
2) Call with QQ and KK. Fold AK.

I have no idea if this is right, but it's probably what I'd do.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For each of the two scenarios below, what do you do in the first hand of a 22 with KK, QQ, or AK?

1) 2 folds, Hero raises to 60, 3 folds, Villain raises to 200, folded to Hero, Hero ???

2) 2 folds, Villain raises to 60, 3 folds, Hero raises to 200, folded to Villain who pushes, Hero ???

[/ QUOTE ]

ok lets see...

scenario 1... KK i push, QQ i call and push a non AK flop, but fold otherwise... AK i call and fold unless an AK comes...

2... KK i call... QQ i fold... AK i fold..
Old 04-13-2005, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

ok lets see...

scenario 1... KK i push, QQ i call and push a non AK flop, but fold otherwise... AK i call and fold unless an AK comes...

2... KK i call... QQ i fold... AK i fold..

[/ QUOTE ]

This is where I think I'm starting to go. At higher buyins this is surely correct, but at 22s it's probably a coin flip. I'd rather keep my chips and beat them out where I know I have an edge.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

This is where I think I'm starting to go. At higher buyins this is surely correct, but at 22s it's probably a coin flip. I'd rather keep my chips and beat them out where I know I have an edge.

[/ QUOTE ]

It might be a coin flip but there is also 400 in "dead" money in the pot at this point, which gives you that edge. In the 22s where people could have anything, I need a pretty good reason to fold getting almost 2-1 with AK.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

It might be a coin flip but there is also 400 in "dead" money in the pot at this point, which gives you that edge. In the 22s where people could have anything, I need a pretty good reason to fold getting almost 2-1 with AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I'm not seeing how you are figuring this. You've put in 200 total. The post has your opponents 800 + the blinds, so that makes 825:600 or about 4:3 which is considerably worse than 2:1.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:36 AM

Its actually 1025(800+200+25):600 or about 1.7:1

You forgot to put in your 200.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:12 PM

Yeah, duh. I said that in the sentence before but forgot in the total. Still, 1.7 is closer to 1.5:1 than 2:1. Lets see more numbers maybe. Chance my opponent has:

I'm new to pokerstove and maybe don't have the concept of equity down exactly, but when I put in AKo vs AA-99, AKs-A9s, AKo-A9o, which I think pretty much encompasses most of what you'd ever see here, you get an equity of 58.7%. So that means that against this range of hands we expect to win 58.7% of the pot. Then if we compare that to our 600/1625, which would be the percent of the pot we are supplying, we get 36.9% which would make this a no brainer to call. Even restricting it to AA-QQ, AKs-AQs, AKo gives us 42.7% equity, so we've still got a reasonable margin. In fact, if you figure your opponent to only push with AK, AA, or KK, we have almost an exact even bet (37.0). QQ is actually even more favorable (39.8%).

All of this assumes an even distrubution, of course.

So I guess this is a call, especially if you figure your opponent could be pushing more than AA-KK, AK.