Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 01:06 AM

Default I flop a set and play like a complete vag

MP totally complicated this hand for me. This is a great table, all passive except for MP. He's on the bonkers side, like 65/30 with an AF of 4.

Preflop - This hand is no powerhouse, and both blinds and the limper are likely to call, so folding here would be bad, and raising would just build a massive pot with a vulnerable hand and subject me to a three-bet from the nutso.

Flop - Ok, great, I've flopped a set, but the board is Draw city, USA. The table is passive except for one player, who is directly on my right, so I will call the flop and plan on raising any brick on the turn.

Turn.. Uhhhhhm.. there's where I run into problems.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP calls, Hero calls, SB calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, Hero.. ??
Old 07-21-2005, 01:09 AM

Default Re: I flop a set and play like a complete vag

Raise the flop. There is no reason to get tricky on this board.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:09 AM

why not raise the flop to protect? pot's not big enough so the other players are coming with gutshots alone.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:28 AM

What about an isolation 3bet PF to hopefully get it HU with the LAG?

I raise the flop and bet out on the turn. As is, I call this down.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:28 AM

I agree, flush draws arent folding on the turn anyways. Also makes ur hand easier to play on the big streets, and you can pump the pot while you have a likely big equity edge.

-Mike
Old 07-21-2005, 01:37 AM

Right, I know that nobody is really folding in this pot, but I don't want to just pop the flop then get everybody check-calling all the way and never get a chance to raise back through the field.

This was an OK plan, I thought, it just hugely backfired with the club on the turn.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Right, I know that nobody is really folding in this pot, but I don't want to just pop the flop then get everybody check-calling all the way and never get a chance to raise back through the field.

This was an OK plan, I thought, it just hugely backfired with the club on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trust me on this... it's a bad idea on this board (especially on this board, though I'm not a fan of slowplaying sets in general). You need to push your equity edge here and it's a pretty big mistake to flat call and give up pushing that edge. Whatever you may gain in theoretical future streets isn't going to compare to the gain from your equity edge that you aren't pushing on the flop. There are a crapload of cards coming that are going to scare the shit out of you, increasing the importance of raising the flop.

I didn't notice the LAG nature of villian before originally commenting. I strongly consider an iso 3-bet here, depending on table texture.