Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2005, 11:59 AM

Default Please help to win at NL50 6 max!

I started playing poker this year. Until June my game was 25NL/PL full ring. I did it quite well, see the results:

I wanted to switch to something more exciting so I moved to the 6 max games. I think I made a mistake that I moved up to 50NL at the same time. I was sruggling. See the results:

This month I decided to step back to 25NL 6 max to change my style by being more aggressive preflop and winning a lot of small pots without showdown. It seems to be working...

Would it be so simple??? I wonder wether it will work at 50NL 6 max as well...
Comments are welcome!
Old 10-22-2005, 01:32 PM

Default Re: Please help to win at NL50 6 max!

the pics won't load
Old 10-22-2005, 01:43 PM

At NL50 six max your aim should not to be to win lots of small pots. Your aim should be to stack donks with very strong hands. The win many small pots theory requires both superb postflop play and good opponents who you can read. At NL50 people play hands randomly, call with awful draws and fold good hands for no reason. You are far, far better playing a good solid game, playing high card values and punishing bad players when you make your hand.

I'm sure it was my shift in attitude from 'must outplay my opponents in every hand' to 'stop bluffing idiots' was the big factor in me moving from a marginal winnning player to a big winner at micro limits.

I know that sounds boring but thats not the way I find it. there are certainly plenty of times to bluff, call with marginal hands and bet when you're only just ahead. Fact is though you must learn to play a good solid game before you can expand out into LAGgy play. SSNL is the best place to learn because solid TAG play is rewarded massively.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At NL50 six max your aim should not to be to win lots of small pots. Your aim should be to stack donks with very strong hands. The win many small pots theory requires both superb postflop play and good opponents who you can read. At NL50 people play hands randomly, call with awful draws and fold good hands for no reason. You are far, far better playing a good solid game, playing high card values and punishing bad players when you make your hand.

I'm sure it was my shift in attitude from 'must outplay my opponents in every hand' to 'stop bluffing idiots' was the big factor in me moving from a marginal winnning player to a big winner at micro limits.

I know that sounds boring but thats not the way I find it. there are certainly plenty of times to bluff, call with marginal hands and bet when you're only just ahead. Fact is though you must learn to play a good solid game before you can expand out into LAGgy play. SSNL is the best place to learn because solid TAG play is rewarded massively.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very good advice for the average SSNL player. Nice post.

-T
Old 10-22-2005, 02:14 PM

Cheers ToT. Fancy Play Syndrome is by far the biggest killer for a new, learning SSNL player. Mostly because they read books/articles pitched way above the level they play at and arn't experienced enough to sort the situations where high level advice applies from those where the opponents will simply be beaten by probablity.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:18 PM

nh bends

i totally agree. i would also add that a mistake that i remember making when switching to 6max was i really opened my hand requirements up a lot and tried to steal the blinds constantly. not that these things can't be beneficial, but ive found that i am more profitable by maintaining pretty much the same hand requirements and not getting over aggro. i play 6 max pretty much like full ring, and im not playing for small pots im playin to stack the idiots who think that because its short handed that they must play every hand...
Old 10-22-2005, 03:06 PM

I hope the pictures can be seen now...
Old 10-22-2005, 03:15 PM

When playing 50NL 6 max passively and always folding to c-bets after half an hour you can drop 50$ without a single showdown. And then if you win a full buyin it is still even. It is just better to be on the other side. The last 15,000 hands were played at the party skins... There are still a lot of donks but you can win a lot of small pots by being aggressive.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:21 PM

Still no pics for me. What are c-bets? Continuation bets?

If you do mean continuation bets then there is no reason to simply fold if you know you're playing a player who will CB every time.

Playing tight does not mean playing passively, it means picking you spots and then playing aggressive. The main downside of this approach is good players will notice you only wake up with a hand and not pay you off. There is no danger of this happening at 6-max NL50
Old 10-22-2005, 03:33 PM

not for me