Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 11:02 AM

Default Iffy flop call and a river I can\'t play properly

Party $5/10.

Loose passive bad player limps UTG. SB completes, I check T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the BB. As you do.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

SB checks. I bet. UTG raises. SB folds. Hmmm, 6-1 odds, chance he's freecarding, chance I can suck out. I call.

(This is probably bad - whaddya think? There are image considerations too.)

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I check. He pauses for a long while and checks.

River: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Curiouser and curiouser. What's your move?

Guy.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:04 AM

Default Re: Iffy flop call and a river I can\'t play properly

Check call

He isn't folding an ace that got scared on the turn ( he wil actually raise you here), and if he raised for a free card with hearts or a gutshot it is hard to see him paying off. Check, and hope he takes a stab at it.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:50 AM

I call this flop raise too. You say he is passive. Does that mean he'll raise for a free card? My guess is he's the typical jackass with Ax and hates his kicker. I have no idea what to do on that river. IMO the only thing you beat is a busted heart draw.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:54 AM

check/call hoping to catch a bluff or a low pair. the river A just makes it less likely he was checking behind his bad kicker on the turn, and you beat busted hearts, big cards like kq (which i have seen raised many times at 5/10) and lower pairs like 88.
i suppose it depends more on a read. flop aggression.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:24 PM

Flop: Bet/call is fine.
Turn: Fold if he bets, his check gives you hope.
River: Check/call and hope he bluffs with a missed draw. If he valuebets a good T or a weak A fine, pay him.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:30 PM

I'm fine with a flop peel after the passive raises. Most likely your 5 outer is clean vs. UTG's A and you're getting 6:1 plus implied odds.

When he checks the turn it sure seems to look like a flush draw, but most passive players don't raise draws. Perhaps a flush draw with a paired 3. The other option is a a higher T that is scared of an A.

I'd bet the river. Villain probably doesn't have an A since he checked the turn. A high T probably bets here while a 3 checks it through. I don't think you can induce a bluff from a worse hand vs. a passive, so might as well bet to get value from a 3 when you'll call a bet anyway.