Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2004, 07:30 PM

Default Not a fossil bashing post

Fossilman,

Can you let us know how many major events you have entered in your life. It appears there are a couple crazy posts out there evaluating your skills based on a very small sample of experience. I would assume you haven't played enough major tournaments for non-informed people to draw any conclusion of your skill, if major tournaments is the measuring stick.

Maybe this can help shed some light on how pointless the recent Fossil bashing posts have been. (Unless of course you have entered 200 major tournaments and have only two cashes. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

I understand their point that you shouldn't be idolized, but that is not where these posts end up going.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:38 PM

Default Re: Not a fossil bashing post

Kinda sad that someone has to preface his comments in this way...but unfortunately entirely necessary. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2004, 09:52 PM

Do you really think the world champion of poker, with a 5 million dollar payday, feels the need to come on this website and defend his reputation?
Old 12-06-2004, 09:59 PM

Probably not which is why it is so so so baffling why his online buddies on here seem so overprotective of him. Dude is almost set for life I seriously doubt if he cares some college aged kids think he is worlclass or not. The board is educational tool and entertaining for people to take part in....it's not something that should be taken all that seriously.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:43 PM

also zaxx you're putting yourself in an impossible position by going what could be considered Greg Raymer's turf and debating his skill. I know you're only asking if he's overrated, but there's a selection bias in the people you're arguing with so it may not be that best idea.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I seriously doubt if he cares some college aged kids think he is worlclass or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

don't leave out us old guys, now.

and i don't understand the whole Fossilman bashing going on. the guy has always been respectful to other posters and generous with his insights. he certainly has an above average understanding of the concepts needed to excel in poker tournaments as well.

cheers!
Old 12-07-2004, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you really think the world champion of poker, with a 5 million dollar payday, feels the need to come on this website and defend his reputation?

[/ QUOTE ]

was that a sarcastic shot at greg? i'm not sure.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

was that a sarcastic shot at greg? i'm not sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it wasn't I'm saying that I think Greg has enough faith in himself to not be bothered by a bunch of anonymous posters writing about him.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:18 AM

I agree with your point to some extent. The fact that he does come here and defend himself shows that he has respect for many of the "anonymous posters". He knows that most (several?) of us are sincere and value his input, even if it involves something as poker irrelevant as how he feels about people taking potshots at him.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I havn't been around here lately, so I havn't seen many of the 'fossil bashing' posts, but yes, I would think that while the money is nice, many poker players would also have a desire to be known as one of the best simply from a competitive standpoint.