Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-28-2005, 12:32 AM

Default I hate this situation...how should it be played

Ok, I always dread the situation in MTTs when I see the flop from the SB and flop top pair, either with a shitty kicker or a good kicker on a coordinated board. This hand happened yesterday in the Party $20+2. Sorry, the actual HH is not available, but I remember the hand well.

I am in SB with ATo. This is the second or third blind level, so blinds are 10/20 or 15/30, I forget which one. Anyway, 4 people limp, I complete and BB checks. The flop comes 69T, two suited. Now, I really hate this flop, especially being first to act. I decide to check and see what happens behind me, possibly planning to raise. And so, it goes 3 checks, a bet of T125, a fold, and a call by the button. Now, I am hating this even more. I am about to fold, but my friend who is watching me, and typically very good at tournaments tells me that I should push here or make a huge raise to get the draws out and likely take it down right there.

I thought that this wasn't the best time to push because the pot post flop wasn't that big and with a bet of T125 and a call, and 2 people to act behind me, this is really basically risking a lot to not win that much. There were too many hands that were made that could be ahead of me and a lot of strong draws. This is why I wanted to fold, and I really don't mind giving up the hand here, but this time I decide to take my friend's advice and I move all in for approximately T1500.

What are your takes on this play? Was I correct to just have folded the hand and not risked so much there or should I have just raised to less than all in? Thanks in advance and I'll post the results later.