Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 07:05 PM

Default Re: think about this...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Stop thinking about the wheels, and the problem is trivial.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, here's the thing. I have a rule about brainteasers. They are supposed to make sense.

[/ QUOTE ]
This whole thing is analagous to the "Can God make a rock so heavy that he can't lift it?" thing.

Going strictly by the rules of the question, of course he can. But in real life we all know that he can't. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2005, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have read every post and switched sides a dozen times. I have come to the conclusion that the plane will take off. Here is how:

Imagine there was no ground. For all intents and purposes this is what the original scenario would be like. If there was no ground and the plane was somehow suspended in mid air would it be able to take off? Yes. The engines or prop would still propel the plane through the air.

Back to the original scenario, to an observer it would look like the plane was sliding along the conveyor propelled by the engines until take off. Wheels and conveyor moving in opposite directions at the same speed.

I lost it until I realized that the wheels are meaningless for moving the plane. All they do is keep it upright and off the ground until the plane can take off. Keep telling yourself that the wheels do not move the plane or have anything to do with its forward propulsion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think (hopefully) everyone is beyond this point by now. The only question is, how retarded was the wording of the OP?
Old 11-23-2005, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But the OP said there was a direct relationship between the wheels and the conveyor, so how do you say the wheels don't matter? The OP specifically states that it does matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the conveyor doesn't matter either!!!!

The question, in the long run, comes down to: will a plane take off as it is designed to?
Old 11-23-2005, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think (hopefully) everyone is beyond this point by now. The only question is, how is this not in SMP?

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 11-23-2005, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But the OP said there was a direct relationship between the wheels and the conveyor, so how do you say the wheels don't matter? The OP specifically states that it does matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

The question, in the long run, comes down to: will a plane take off as it is designed to?

[/ QUOTE ]

Once again, the OP states that the conveyor does in fact matter. It presents a state where the conveyor and the wheels are moving at the same speed in opposite directions. You can't state that as a condition and then say "Well once you add thrust you can ignore that condition". Unless the OP actually said that, but it didn't, so I don't see how you can blame all these guys who read that and assume that the airspeed must be 0.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And the answer is yes, after violating the conditions stipulated in the OP.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think (hopefully) everyone is beyond this point by now. The only question is, how retarded was the wording of the OP?

[/ QUOTE ]
- Riddle: does x + y = x?
- No.
- Yes it does! Just ignore y. Idiot.
- [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2005, 07:13 PM

Default Re: Summary of this thread

[ QUOTE ]
Group 1, led by OP and Patrick seem to be completely ignoring the fact that if the aircraft starts to move forward, the speed of the wheels will increase, which by definition means the speed of the treadmill must increase, which by definition means the speed of the wheels must increase, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heretofor known as the "Like to break the rules" group.

[ QUOTE ]
Group 2 can't get around the fact that the OP states there is in fact a fixed relationship between the conveyor and the wheels of the aircraft.

[/ QUOTE ]

The "Can't see the forest for the trees" group.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Once again, the OP states that the conveyor does in fact matter. It presents a state where the conveyor and the wheels are moving at the same speed in opposite directions. You can't state that as a condition and then say "Well once you add thrust you can ignore that condition". Unless the OP actually said that, but it didn't, so I don't see how you can blame all these guys who read that and assume that the airspeed must be 0.

[/ QUOTE ]

It IS a condition - it just so happens that it has no bearing on the solution.

End of story - time for me to go get drrrrrrrunk on the (2nd?) biggest drinking day of the year. Thanks to everyone who played, and apologies to anyone who got upset (or lost $400) over it. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2005, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
- Riddle: does x + y = x?
- No.
- Yes it does! Just ignore y. Idiot.
- [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

y = 0

duh