Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2004, 03:12 AM

Default Why I play poker

I suppose this is the right forum for this...

I often find myself in a situation where it would help if I could explain to someone that it's ok and not degenerate that I play poker. I'm not talking about explaining losing streaks or even getting them to like that I play, but I just want to be able to convey that there are legitimate reasons to like poker.

There was an eloquent thread posted about a year ago that I can no longer find, but in it the author compared poker to bridge and chess, wherein there is a huge volume of knowledge written about the subjects, and people play because it's an intellectually stimulating challenge.

does anyone on the forum now have any explanations that they give out to convey that poker is a tough game that they enjoy reading about, learning, and beating?

Jonathan
Old 12-02-2004, 03:24 AM

Default Re: Why I play poker

I'm kinda in it for the cash.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:31 AM

In about a month we're starting an essay forum. I've already sent Mason my first one, "Is poker socially useful?"

I expect a lively discussion.

You might also read my, "Nobody understands us" at cardplayer.com. Click on magazine, writers, and my name.

LOTS of us, including me, have the problem you have described. My children are appalled that their once-respectable father now plays and writes about poker.

Regards,

Al
Old 12-02-2004, 06:01 AM

That article cannot come soon enough. I really need to convince my dad that poker is socially useful and is not just a drain on society but I have not been able to put together much of an argument. Any ideas?
Old 12-02-2004, 12:41 PM

I don't want to undermine my essays by being too specific. There will be a series of essays on how poker teaches competitive strategies.

Stay tuned.

Al
Old 12-02-2004, 06:28 AM

I am definitely looking forward to this essay Dr. Al.

Lawrence
Old 12-02-2004, 11:06 AM

Default I posted this a while back...

My family was always into playing cards. We often spent at least one evening per week playing cards (never poker.) We usually played partner games with my brother and I against my parents. When I was really young (grade school), our game of choice was Canasta. In middle school to early high school we played double deck pinochle. At the peak, we would play 1 or 2 games of pinochle every night (usually before dinner.) We shifted back to canasta 10 years ago or so and have been playing that (when we play) ever since.

Each summer we would vacation at my grandparents lake cabin. We would usually play our game of choice (pinochle or canasta -- depending on the game era.) However, if the grandparents wanted to play or we had more people than four, we would usually try something different. This usually led to playing Skip-bo (I think that's the name) or Tripoli/Michigan Rummy. Michigan Rummy/Tripoli contains an element of poker. I suspect that's where I originally learned, but I could have been taught by my brother (I really don't have a specific recollection.)

Every once in a great while, I would play penny ante poker with some friends (grade school.) Then in Jr. High, my older brother, a few of his friends and I would play poker on a semi-regular basis. The game was usually 5 card draw (as this is the form of poker most people learn first) or mindless games like Between the Sheets.

All throughout High School and most of college, I never played a single game of poker. It just dropped off the radar entirely. One New Year's Eve at the home of my then girlfriend (now wife), we all decided to play poker. That's what really started it for me. I had a blast. I was not good, but it was still fun.

I soon decided to try to learn some strategy. A little internet research led me to an on-line book about home games. I don't remember a lot about it except it was more entertainment than strategy (there were such hot tips as don't drink, keep your opponents well fed, and I distinctly remember a side bet where the author offered a loose player that they would share $1 out of every pot they won...the loose player won more, but smaller, pots so the bet was a good one.)

Soon, I was reading everything I could find on the net --- and actually playing fairly rarely. I wanted to learn the game and didn't have too many opportunities to play, so I read a lot. I downloaded a hold 'em game for my palm pilot and played that quite a bit (I really didn't get the whole blind structure for quite some time.) Once I understand the mechanics of the game, I ventured to Canterbury and tried that. I purchased Turbo Texas Hold 'em and tried that. All of that taught me one thing --- I sucked rocks at poker, but still really liked it.

I started buying books TOP, HPFAP, Lee Jones, Gary Carson, Ken Warren (what was I thinking?), Ray Zee and many others now line my shelves. I tried Paradise --- won some money and then tried UB --- won some money and tried Party.

Over the years, I've gotten better. I'm not great by any stretch of the imagination. I'm not making a lot of money. I have no delusions of winning a bracelet. I just really like to play cards. Playing nearly any card game brings faint memories of playing Pinnochle at the lake. It reminds me of sitting around the table with old family, and new, sharing time together. A deck of cards (or two decks for Canasta, or four for double-deck pinnochle) have provided me a lot of enjoyment over the years.

Poker can be a great way to make money. At times, it can be frustrating as hell. At times, it can be an emotional high. Throughout all the peaks and valleys, both now and in the future, I hope that it always reminds me of sitting around the table playing cards with my family. I hope that it is a tradition that I can pass on to my kids. I hope that poker always remains fun.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:59 PM

I'm currently what I like to call "between successes" - others might call it unemployed. Unfortunatly, my poker skills aren't at the I can make a good living at this yet, but I have recently graduated to the I can suppliment my income calaber.

The reason I bring this up, I was recently a finalist (1 of 2) for a sales position that I was more than qualified and interested in. While meeting with the company president, he asked me a question that I wasn't entirely prepared for - "What are the last three books that I've read?" Of course the first book to come to mind was SSH. So I told him SSH and two other books that I felt would show some depth to my personality, a novel and a sales book. Well my read on this guy was sooo off. As soon as I told him I played poker, I could tell that the interview had taken the wrong turn.

Although the recruiter had informed me that I was their 1st choice going into the interview, the other candidate was offered the position.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:33 PM

NEVER, EVER tell the truth when you're asked a question like that at an interview. Your answer cannot help you by showing depth to your personality, it can only hurt you, so try to say something as mundane and boring as possible. A question like that is only meant to screen out "unwanteds," and you definately set of an alarm bell! [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

As someone who interviews and hires people, I wouldn't be turned off by your answer (obviously), but I can attest that any questions about you other than your competency for the job are for negative purposes. Beware.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:22 PM

Default Re: For similar reasons

I actually play both chess and poker for the same reasons: intellectual challenge and love of competition.

The only people you'll be able to convince with these reasons (that poker is not degenerate) are people who also enjoy intellectual challenge and competition. For the rest it's a lost cause. The one exception is probably those interested in business and economics, but who will still wonder why you don't apply your skill to something more profitable. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]