Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2005, 05:59 AM

Default Re: Mike Caro has lost his mind!

[ QUOTE ]
Plus, if I raise, or maybe somebody else has already raised, and now I re-raise... What happens? I’ll chase people out of the pot. Do I want to chase weak hands out when I’m holding a pair of aces?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that Mike has been playing much poker in the last several years. In almost all of the modern low and middle limit games, the donkeys are going to cold-call your raises with virtually any hand that they would limp in with. Go ahead and punish them pre-flop and increase your EV.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now this I think is a bit nutty. You have AA, you want to give other hands the opportunity to call with the worst of it. Not raising gives crap hands the opportunity to limp in getting the best of it (or worse, allows the big blind to check getting infinite odds to outdraw your aces!).

[/ QUOTE ]

One should raise if it gets enough action; but only then. The blind(s) do not get infinite odds as they have bad implied odds until they fold anything worse than two pairs.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Plus, if I raise, or maybe somebody else has already raised, and now I re-raise... What happens? I’ll chase people out of the pot. Do I want to chase weak hands out when I’m holding a pair of aces?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that Mike has been playing much poker in the last several years. In almost all of the modern low and middle limit games, the donkeys are going to cold-call your raises with virtually any hand that they would limp in with. Go ahead and punish them pre-flop and increase your EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mike is talking about NL, not limit hold'em in the video. I saw it, its total crap (as expected).

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 06-02-2005, 10:41 AM

Look: What are you trying to do with AA

1. Win the blinds , and

2. Isolate your hand against one other lower paired hand
for the purpose of doubling up.

So raise.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:20 PM

Mike is not big on raising/reraising preflop as a general concept.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

That makes much more sense than "never raise with aces", and it expresses a concept that most beginners would do well to learn; you never raise with the sole intent to 'chase people out' unless you are bluffing. A raise for value is nothing more than offering your opponents the worst of it when they have inferior hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is an interesting point. On a NL loose table, if I don'r try to scare people out with big bets when I have, say, poket QQ, people will draw and win it much more.

If I do scare people out, I'll win less money more often.

Witch one is better?
Old 06-03-2005, 04:27 PM

I just saw the same video couple days ago.

I also observed his strange advice and couldn't follow its logic. Limp in with poket aces just seems wrong.

The video is targeted for novice, and his advice is especially dangerous for players who don't have background to criticise it.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:43 PM

Mike is right. AA wins about 85% of the time against a single random hand. Against 9 random hands, it wins about 35% of the time.

You will make a lot more money beating 9 opponents 35% of the time than you will beating a single opponent 85% of the time.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:04 PM

Dear chopchoi,

Thank you for not raising before the flop. The opportunity to outdraw your pocket aces for free is very much appreciated.

Sincerely,

The Big Blind
Old 06-04-2005, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dear chopchoi,

Thank you for not raising before the flop. The opportunity to outdraw your pocket aces for free is very much appreciated.

Sincerely,

The Big Blind

[/ QUOTE ]

Dear Big blind,

Your thanks is most appreciated. However, the cards are not on their backs yet so it is maybe a bit premature.

I did give you a free shot with your 8-3o in the big blind. You had infinite odds to outdraw me, and must have been very happy with the flop of 8-3-A.

When the turn came another 3 you must have been delighted, especially with some chump (me) who had limped under the gun and is now over-playing what looks like AK or AQ against you. What a mug, if the chump had raised with his AK you'd have passed. Now, it looks like you're going to get all his chips. He's just re-raised you on the turn, time to set him all-in...

Sincerely,

The chump who limped with AA UTG (and flopped top set)

Only joking.