Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2005, 07:41 AM

Default Do cocky homegame players annoy you?

Just posted this in another forum before realizing this is probably where it should be.

I just got back from a game held at a guys house who is friends with one of my friends and he invited over a buncha people he knew. These were some of the most horrible players ive ever seen which is fine and dandy and all... but just the conversations and attitudes of some of these players made me want to vomit.

Players talking strategy and trying to justify suck outs and then being worshipped by their peers as being great players. "Omg im scared to play with that guy he's just so good and always takes our money." This is the same guy who would call all in on the turn with a one outter when he's obviously beaten and then get extremely lucky and strut around like he's a poker god. The table I was playing at was a fish tank. I'm very rusty when it comes to play with very fishy players because i havent done it in a while but it felt 100% like a .25/.5 limit game on party poker. At first when I got to the game I tried to play my usual game, you know open a pot for a standard 4x bb raise with AK and continuation bet if only getting one caller pre flop. Didn't work.. called by a guy with high card who pairs up on the turn. Every hand was going to showdown and people were reraising or calling down big bets with bottom pairs. Chasing down flush draws with one card to come and saying "I Had about a 35% chance to hit my flush on the river" as though they have a clue as to what they're talking about.

It was just annoying as HELL to hear them talk about how good so and so is when he was awful and hear them talk about how "Yeah we should call over XXX, he really sucks and we can take his money easily". I wanted to say "are you f*cking kidding, you are the most awful player ive ever seen.. getting your money in with the worst of it and sucking out doesnt give you the right to act like you're good.. you're not" but instead I was just polite and smiled. I mean no point in berating the fish right?

Then the topic of online poker comes up which I already knew the opinions were going to be before anyone opened their mouth. About 4-5 kids ofcourse say "That sh*t is rigged". I wanted to say "Playing the way you play theres no chance in hell you will win, so i'm not surprised you lost" but ofcourse I didn't say that.

Players would blurt out after winning a huge pot on the river to a 2 outter "Yes im finally winning again, i was on a losing streak for a while but I think im getting better now". Does anyone NOT get annoyed hearing this? I actually found alot of what they said to be funny as hell but annoying too... I ask one of the kids is he up money overall in poker he tells me "yeah i win like lots of money and think im a winning player". This is the same guy who got busted on the night moving all in pre flop with 8/9 after a raise and reraise in front of him. Anyone ever been in a game like this where you just have to bite your tongue and listen to how ridiculous it is? I wanted to just tell some of them "Why are you belittling someone elses play and thinking you're good because you got lucky, you suck and have no understanding of the game". But instead, I just let the fishes believe what they want and enjoy their short term luck while it lasts. Oh and incase anyone is wondering, i played TAG at the table initially because i really dont know the best way to play against these types of players and finally tripled up when getting AK. Some guy limps ahead of me, i raise.. guy after me calls.. the limper then pushes all in, i call.. guy after me pushes all in.. i got the right price on both calls and they flip up A/10 and AQ.. the limper reraiser all in had A/10. And at the end of the night two of the players were talking about making plans to go to Atlantic City and own up the poker tables... oh how much i'd pay to see their expression when they go there and get beat by some professional player like Nick Frangos while he's at work (AC) and wonder what they did wrong.

Yes I am done venting.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:49 AM

Default Re: Do cocky homegame players annoy you?

You're not really this stupid, right? Or is it just cocky, trash-talking pro players who DON'T bother you, because they DO know what they are doing and talking about?

BTW, "Chasing down flush draws with one card to come and saying "I Had about a 35% chance to hit my flush on the river" as though they have a clue as to what they're talking about. "

Well, if they flopped the four-flush, their 35% wasn't too far off (even if it was incorrectly applied to the river draw).

If you can't deal with it, then don't play with them again (IMHO a really, REALLY stupid idea, but you have to go with what you're comfortable with).

And get over yourself, Mr Pro Player.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The difference is, I don't sit around in games talking trash about other players and how good I am about sucking out. Never claimed to be a pro player only commented at being annoyed by cocky players. You're offended? Why? Are you one of these players? If so... get over yourself and learn to be humble.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
...The difference is, I don't sit around in games talking trash about other players...

[/ QUOTE ]

So instead you come on here to talk trash about trash taking players? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2005, 10:22 PM

Theres a big difference, do you see why?
Old 08-20-2005, 11:23 PM

OP is a douche, shut up
Old 08-20-2005, 11:55 PM

Everyone needs to vent, and typing helps you vent in a more clear fashion.

Use their cocky attitudes against them by talking to them. People like this are easy to confuse and people can be easily pursuaded to do what you wish. Go back to that game and take all their money, that's another good way to deal with cocky players.

JMB
Old 08-21-2005, 12:21 AM

you are just like them and YOU SUCK DONKEY BALLS. great, now i am like you.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:41 AM

The OP sucks and so do the bithces that responded. Take their money if you can and STFU.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:58 AM

Why get angry at a bunch of horrible players when you have the best of it. I wish i could play at that table for the rest of my life. And when they suck out I'd applaud and tell them they made a great play to stroke their ego. Eventually you'll have all the money.....just tighten up at a super loose table like that and play your hands for value.