Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2005, 07:40 PM

Default home game tourny with fast rising blinds

i'm playing in a home game tourny in an hour and a half, and i'm hoping to get some quick advice, lol.

the home game tourny has a starting chip stack of about 3,500 with 25/50 blinds. the blinds go up every 15 minutes (it feels like we only get about 4-6 hands per round).

i'm uncomfortable with this structure because i'm a tight-aggressive player and don't play that many hands, so this structure kinda hurts me. how does this affect my strategy? i know that i have to loosen up my starting hand requirements, and push my good hands harder... but what other advice can you give me? do you think i shouldn't bluff as much even against tight players?

any advice would be great!
Old 08-09-2005, 07:54 PM

Default Re: home game tourny with fast rising blinds

I think I'd play this a lot like a party tourney....start out tight, just try to survive, and then when the blinds are about 200-400, start to get a aggressive.

Early on...play only AA-TT, Maybe some AKs-AQs open raise action. Play smart and tight, avoid trouble. In all honestly, just avoiod anything that seems marginal preflop or will lead to a marginal decision.

At about 200-400....steal with some weaker aces, 2 suited broadway, high suited connectors. By then you should have some reads on oppoents and play accordingly. Dont be afraid to push...and dont get too cute either.

Later on....if you make it to about 500-1000 level and up, stealing blinds is key. Be aggressive...very aggressive. Once in a decent money spot...settle for it, but gamble for first.

Best wishes
Old 08-09-2005, 11:38 PM

Sounds like fare advice. Tight and aggressive and don't make mistakes. Its easily to lead or be led into a no win chip losing situation.

Does the tournament use two decks of cards? One deck is shuffled while the other is in play. At the end of the hand you are good to go with the next hand. Two different colored decks are a necessity. This gives many more hands per blind with little down time. Good Luck
Old 08-10-2005, 09:27 AM

completely agree. We've always used 2 decks and I recently played in a tourney where they only used one deck. I was amazed at how much slower it was.

Also, per the OP question, I agree: Play it like a Party SNG. Stay out of trouble. Push those good hands. Remember the 8-10BB rule. If you've got that little, just push all in. In later rounds, do it even with a little more stack (say 12) if you are in late position with no one enetered in front of you with even a marginal holding.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:30 PM

Are they doubling every round, or progressing on a 60% clip after the 2nd round?