Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2005, 07:54 PM

Default Chips in the UK

I would like to get some nice chips and dont know where to start. How many are needed for around 6-8 players? Where can I buy them? What do I look for (weight, type etc)
Old 08-28-2005, 05:59 AM

Default Re: Chips in the UK

Ebay is probably your best bet for good starting chips.

As for the amount needed, you could go by the following:-

Green = 25 x 8
Blue = 50 x 10
Black = 100 x 8

That will give you starting chips of 1500 per player, so basically you could get away with a 300 pc chipset IF they let you have 100 of 3 colour.

You're probably best off getting a 1000 pc set though, as you're covered if you want to expand your games.

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-28-2005, 10:57 AM

For our uni society we bought from here. As far as im aware its the cheapest you can get 'dice' chips, which are one of the higher quality low price chips on the market.

I liked the price so much i bought a set for my use too.

Cant go wrong for the cost imo.

Phill
Old 08-28-2005, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ebay is probably your best bet for good starting chips.

As for the amount needed, you could go by the following:-

Green = 25 x 8
Blue = 50 x 10
Black = 100 x 8

That will give you starting chips of 1500 per player, so basically you could get away with a 300 pc chipset IF they let you have 100 of 3 colour.

You're probably best off getting a 1000 pc set though, as you're covered if you want to expand your games.

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

No point using 25's and 50's... two 25's are a 50.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:19 AM

Wombie,

You didn’t mention any details regarding a budget. If your budget allows for better chips I would not hesitate in recommending chips from The Poker Chip Company Ltd. They make two styles of clay chips that are both outstanding in quality and moderately priced. For a few cents more per chip you can add words or a monogram. They feel good, sound good, and stack well. I prefer style #1003 but their only other clay chip (sytle#1006) is fine also. You might have several stores send you samples so you can make an informed decision.
Style#1003
Styel#1006

If your budget is like mine then you might want to look at the Deluxe Dice chips that are also known as Faux Clay chips. I needed lots of chips my poker business and have not regretted purchasing these. The plain colored chips do not impress my clients when we start a tournament but by the end of the night I always have comments like ”These are pretty nice chips”. They are certainly nothing to look at but the feel good, sound good, and stack pretty well. Of course the clay chips above are much better and I would choose them if I were able to. On the other hand I would also choose the Faux Clay chip over the cheap dice sets. I hated mine so much I gave them away and had to go for a while without chips. Below is a link to a chip store with fair pricing so you can see what the Faux Clay looks like. Purchase wherever you get the best overall price.
Faux Clay Chips

Be careful purchasing on Ebay. You can purchase chips very cheap but have shipping and handling charges that are through the roof.

Cheers
Old 09-01-2005, 09:23 PM

I live in the UK. Bought a 500 set from www.drinkstuff.com and they're fine for home games. 11.5g "Dice" chips; you can choose the number of each colour you want, so I went for 200, 200, 100. No problem for 8 way games.

Anyway, you can order a sample pack from them for £1 (including delivery, if I remember correctly), so that should be helpful if nothing else. One other thing to think about: I don't like denominations of my chips (and some on that site, much like anywhere else, are absolutely horrific) and it's probably a good idea to go for non-denominated unless you know exactly what you want.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:40 PM

Best information on chips can be found here http://www.chiptalk.net
Old 09-07-2005, 02:02 AM

Check out chip reviews for info on the Poker Chip Company chips
Old 09-07-2005, 11:59 AM

Someone mentioned golfhq above. i bought a 500 piece set from them and it's very good. Dice chips, decent quality, v.cheap, decent case. I'd recommend them.

http://www.thesportshq.com

I'm in the uk too.

G.