Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2005, 02:02 PM

Default Re: Do cocky homegame players annoy you?

[ QUOTE ]
Are you one of these players? If so... get over yourself and learn to be humble.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL- quite a quote, coming from you.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:11 PM

Talking trash is an essential part of a friendly home game. My friends have a small, 5 or 6 player $10 buyin NL freezeout every week or two and I go only because we talk major trash - male and female alike.

Maybe you're not having fun because you're keeping quiet. If they're talking crap, they expect you to talk it back. Just keep it friendly and remember that the stakes are probably pennies in comparison to what you play online (or, at least they should be).
Old 08-21-2005, 07:29 PM

It seemed to me that he was insulted by their less-than-expert knowledge, but what do I know?
Old 08-21-2005, 10:09 PM

In re: OP: Cocky players of the type you describe don't annoy me. The only way they interfere with my play is I have to leave the room periodically to rub my hands together in anticipation of a winning night. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Seriously -- Either wear headphones and buckle down and beat them, or find another game less annoying to you. Life is too goddamn short to spend leisure time in the company of fools unless there is no other +EV game within range.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:21 AM

Yeah, I hate when people verbalize their misconceptions about poker, because then I almost feel like a mugger taking their money...it's just a little too easy.

If you can't adapt to different table conditions, especially INCREDIBLY FREAKING EASY conditions like this one, you are a long, long way from being the player you already think you are.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:13 PM

act like them and fit in. WHy would you act like a poker pro when you see weakness? act like an ass ( aside from your stratagy) Even throw some bad info at them and let them correct you.. stroke it(their ego) You want a covivial atmosphere so you acting like you are not having fun and just here to take all their money might not be the best way to take their money. Have fun with it. talk like an idoit Say something like "that new 50 cent junk is hot" or" were tia and tamera really sisters?" quote rounders at every moment possible. You have to change up your game to make sure your not going over their heads. Also one more thing Bob Saget sucks dick for coke..
Old 08-22-2005, 01:38 PM

take his money then go

"odd. the best hand stood up... thast unbelievable.."
Old 08-22-2005, 04:54 PM

Default Re: obivously a bad player

LOL sounds like the "fish" took you for a ride for a tune of some serious cash that you could not afford to lose. If trash talk upsets you I dont see how you could ever win. LOL loser, Im better then you, I had a 32.3 percent chance to win, etc. Mad yet?
Old 08-22-2005, 10:30 PM

Cocky home game players are mildly annoying, but if they are that bad, the anticipation of taking huge pots off of them outweigh the annoyance - if the stakes are high enough. I played in a $20 buy in, .10/.20 blind cash home game saturday night with 3 HORRIBLE players and finished up $30, cleaning out a few folks. However, the length of time was not really worth it, IMO. Anyone have strategies they would suggest for playing against really horrible players AND strategies for getting more and more of other people's money into play? I've found that players who trash talk alot can often be goaded into going all in over and over again, and if you can get the table into that type of mentality, perhaps by playing ridiculously loose for a while - and then suddenly tightening up - you can make a lot of money. Any other thoughts?
Old 08-23-2005, 01:59 AM

I really do understand what you are saying. Once in a while a play a game with my nephew and his friends and they don’t have too many skill or real knowledge of the game. The important thing is they have a great time and if they have the delusion they are really good and boast among themselves how they outplayed each other its ok with me. I just sit back and smile and laugh and tell them great hand when they win and boy way I lucky when I win. It is rare that I am not in first or second place so the money goes my way most of the time. I am gracious in winning and congratulatory in losing and I keep everyone happy and enjoy myself. There are plenty bad beats because they don’t know how to lay a bad hand down and draw out too much. That’s ok with me because I do know how to fold and I am holding the best hand when and if I am outdrawn. Let them have them have their fun and boasts and wish them the best, take their money and leave them smiling for your return. They know they will be able to beat you next time because you were just lucky this time and they had bad luck. I have won about $500.00 from them this year and they always invite me back as a challenge for them because I am so lucky. Enjoy life a little and let up. I am sure there are game that you could play where you would be a fish too.