Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 10:19 AM

Default Re: Having trouble beating a home game

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, BTW. I am not sure if you play limit or no-limit. My suggestions are for limit hold'em.

[/ QUOTE ]

We play no-limit. 12 minute blinds (25/50, 50/100, 75/150, etc until the 10th level 2500/5000 which doubles thereafter) Starting with 5000 chips. I do wish we played limit since it would be an easy game to beat. We usually have 5 or 6 people per table depending on how many show up (between 3 and 12) I do much better when there are more in the game because I have some great tells on a few of the less frequent players.

I know position, position, position is important, but what is the best way to exploit that position? Should I be raising garbage from the button occasionally to mix it up?
Old 08-03-2005, 05:20 AM

I understand what you are going through. Most home games I attend or deal have the same problems. You have already been given advice to think about its up to you to decide what is good advice or not. I think the bottom line depend on the unique situation of each game and the particular group of players. It’s rare that I don’t finish at or near the top of the money. Cards and position are very important. These are not the kind of people you can readily bluff and since they like to go to the river instead of folding they tend to draw out more often. You should be taking this into account and only play hands you have a better than average chance to win. More people in the pot the more that can out draw you. Remember you goal is to win the tournament not each and every hand played. Sometimes it’s hard work to not play hands. Observe, observe, and observe! While your not playing pick up tells to help you later. It seems like our games are wild in the beginning and then all of a sudden people realize the blinds are getting bigger and they don’t have as much money any more. This is when you may have some opportunities to use your stack and your table presence to your advantage. Now you can usually get some money here by picking up blinds and by good betting. In fact, you may even be able to bluff a few pots with proper betting since they know you only play or bet strong on wining hands. Good poker should get you to the end in good shape.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:23 PM

Holy cow, 25/50 and 5000 to start? Nice. The game I play is 1/2 and 50 to start, usually. I try to tell 'em to start with 50X BB, but they don't listen. I'd suggest holding back for a while, then, to let the maniacs burn themselves (hopefully against your strong hands). That way, you are left playing either a calling station with lots of chips or a maniac with lots of chips (both of which are easy wins).

About position, sure, raise it on up on the button every time if it'll work. I do that sometimes and will fold to any type of reraise if bluffing. I may lose 3 blinds here and there, but when those good or great hands pop up on the button, they bust people. +EV in the long run because they are so tired of me raising they'll push all-in and then see me flip the KK or AA.