Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 12:58 PM

Default Quick Question - LPs/WTag

This is a problem that I used to have, but I have conquered it however it is probably quite a good discussion point.

The situation arises when you are on a table with mixed ability players, this usually happens on weekend nights.

A shorthanded table as a LAG player vs a couple of LPs and some TAGs. I play lots of hands super aggressively, maybe too aggressively when there are weak tights on the table. My use of pure inbred aggression usually wins pots through bluffs, mostly semi-bluffs where weak-tight players will often fold hands that haven't hit boards. This is very apparent at places like the Cryptologic sites.

This used to happen a lot at 1/2 and what would happen is the LPs would call with low gutshots / lowest pairs all the way to the river and I would continually make continuation bets against these players. I found that I would end up losing money as I would raise preflop, bet flop, bet turn and usually everyone would fold (weak tight is as weak tight does) I would win small uncontested pots, folding at the sight of any aggression. When LPs come into play they completely ruin this strategy and then we have to play a more SSHE based tight approach.

I found that to conquer this I just had to play a Strong TAG game even though I knew that I could exploit the WTs by being aggro. Should I have stayed LAG and just popped the flop with stronger semi-bluffs and less overcard bets (especially on the turn) or is this TAG approach far superior?

I found that I would have a 5bb/100+ rate at 1/2 during the WT period and this dropped to like -1bb/100 during weekend times when LPs joined the games. I found that I could get 2bb/100 when these mixed abilities joined by playing tighter but I was wondering if I could increase this by playing a more disciplined LAG game?

Any thoughts?

True
Old 12-10-2005, 08:02 PM

Default Re: Quick Question - LPs/WTag

[ QUOTE ]
Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Post hands, and don't determine strategy based on win rates. You don't have nearly enough hands to conclude that the difference is anything other then variance.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Post hands, and don't determine strategy based on win rates. You don't have nearly enough hands to conclude that the difference is anything other then variance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play 5000+ hands / day, I play through variance.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:43 AM

Yikes. That's insane dude. (5k+ hands per day) At least, I know I would go insane trying it.

Anyway, as leader said, it's more situation-specific rather than overall strategy. You need to know who is in the post with you. If you're in there with a weak-tight player you feel you can push off, go ahead and hammer away. If you're against the LPP who will call down with weak hands, just value bet them in to the ground. Don't try and bluff.