Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 10:58 AM

Default Someone with good knowledge of Harrington...

Inflection point play:

When harrington talks about inflection play there are a couple of things that aren't so clear to me and another reader. Harrington says once you go down through the yellow and orange levels you need to play more aggressively. He also mentions that you shouldn't be playing the low pocket pairs or suited connectors because you lack the implied odds, or ability to make enough money for these to be profitable.

My question is what does he mean by more aggressively then? Does he mean play and open with more hands? or does he mean play the same starting hands he recommends but bet them more aggressively when you hit top pair or a draw? I know you want to get in and out of pots quickly and try and accumulate chips in these zones, but should I be opening with weaker hands like QT off or JT or play the same hands as normal more aggressively?

What kind of adjustments should be made to "play more aggressively?"
Old 10-07-2005, 11:35 AM

Default Re: Someone with good knowledge of Harrington...

No a harrington expert, but I've read is books.

wrt to suited connectors and PP's, I think his point is that you can't limp these and play them for value as you don't have enough chips to be payed off properly when you hit, thus its EV- to speculate with them.

However, I think you definately include these hands along with a wider range (widening as M trends lower) amoung the hands you open strongly with, mostly in position, but often out of position as well depending upon conditions mostly while trying to steal blinds, and in the PP case, semi bluffing (reraising limpers in position etc). The key is, your not looking to "see flops cheaply" with these types of hands hoping to connect with them at get all in.

My .02, ymmv.

P
Old 10-07-2005, 11:59 AM

I don't have the book in front of me, but refresh me, what is your M for the yellow and orange levels? Once you get down around 7-10 M, he says it's all in or fold right?

I think once you're in yellow and below, you rarely have enough chips to even get to a decision on the turn. All-in preflop if you are small enough. If you can make a 3-5x raise without committing yourself to calling a reraise, do it. But if you do so with QJ and the flop is Q high, you won't have enough left to get away, and probably have to play for all your chips.
Old 10-08-2005, 02:58 PM

I think his point is to be more aggressive with the hands you do play. an example. say you hit top pair weak kicker from the blinds. Earlier in the tourney with an M in the green zone you may not play this as aggressively, but as your M starts to dip you have to be more aggressive with the hands you play and now that top pair weak kicker starts looking real good. This is how I see it.