Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2005, 12:00 AM

Default flopped the nuts, how many bets?

here's a hand.

live 6/12

bad player openraises, folded to me and i call in the bb with J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], HU.

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet. He raises. I 3-bet. He 4-bets. I 5-bet. He 6-bets. I 7-bet. He 8-bets... I n bet. He n+1 bets, I...

At what point do I worry about getting frerolled on? Or should I just like never stop?
Old 03-29-2005, 12:02 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: flopped the nuts, how many bets?

describe bad player. no one can really tell but you. it's just at the point where you are probably like 90% certain he has JT
Old 03-29-2005, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At what point do I worry about getting frerolled on? Or should I just like never stop?

[/ QUOTE ]

15 bets
Old 03-29-2005, 12:06 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

15 bets

[/ QUOTE ]

there comes a point where you're just getting the worst of it. it's way before 15 bets. J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], JT with one club are all freerolling
Old 03-29-2005, 12:11 AM

eh, he's bad, I'd stop after around 10 bets in for each of us. See if he'll resume on a non club non pair turn for 10 big bets. From the flop a jt with just one club is hurting you with the backdoor possibility. I think with a bad player you don't need to go all the way. I don't think its the end of the world if this hand stops without you getting every last dollar of his money since he is bad and will keep giving it away. I think it's pretty dumb to let a bad player freeroll against you. (I dunno if he's so bad that he would just get up and run after freerolling and hitting to 2x his cash on table but if he is that sort of bad hit and run prone dude you lose out in multiple ways by letting him freeroll)

Final Note: Live you can watch as the guy raises you for the nth time. I assume you can interpret a hell of a lot from his demeanor. People aren't entirely stupid and even with top set will start looking pretty damn uncomfortable after about the 8th raise... I would be measuring his comfort level around that time.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:13 AM

you should use slight of hand to take 1 bet out each time he raises... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] would give you a huge edge i think
Old 03-29-2005, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

15 bets

[/ QUOTE ]

I made that number up. Sorry. I thought it was obvious. My sense of humor is bizarre.

there comes a point where you're just getting the worst of it. it's way before 15 bets. J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], JT with one club are all freerolling

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-29-2005, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
here's a hand.

live 6/12

bad player openraises, folded to me and i call in the bb with J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], HU.

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet. He raises. I 3-bet. He 4-bets. I 5-bet. He 6-bets. I 7-bet. He 8-bets... I n bet. He n+1 bets, I...

[/ QUOTE ]

This really comes down to CDC's definiton of bad.

IMO a freeroll is not the concern here, or at least not the major one. Just cuz he's bad doesn't mean he raises JT from EP. IMO a bad player is more likley to overplay postflop. I put him on KK or QQ. The question is, will he fill up.

Also, does it not make sense to slow down and then speed up again if a safe turn comes off when your edge is larger and the bets are bigger? I'm just spit-balling here.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:30 AM

This is funny because this SORT OF reminds me of the story from the book Super Systems (the first edition) where Chip Reese talks about how he was playing a bad player in seven card stud and they both went all in on a coin flip and Reese lost his whole bankroll, and then he said he learned a valuable lesson that day to NOT get in that situation with a bad player again because that same player was constantly putting himself in other situations with the worst of it.

The reason I said SORT OF is because this is NOT really a coin flip because you flopped the nuts. However, I still think that you should probably stop at a point where you still have a good chunk of your bankroll left because if you take a huge hit that puts you out of action it might have NOT been worth it since you are probably just a small favorite. For example, if you can afford to shove your whole stack out there and still be able to play the 6/12 game no problem then this may NOT be a bad idea.

The reason I say you are probably just a small favorite is that if you consider all of the hands he may play this way they all have tons of outs, plus two cards left (turn plus river) to catch them on. I think he either has the jack-ten of clubs (which would be devastating for you), a club draw and inside straight draw ( which will connect about 45% of the time), and he could have trips (which will turn into a full house or better 33% of the time).

Considering the likely that a player (even a bad one) would play all these hands in this way I say your about a 60% favorite, what to do about this edge is more of a personal decision.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:10 AM

You need to tell us how many chips are in front of both you and him.