Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2005, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Ways of getting around an Office internet Proxy

[ QUOTE ]
Internet monitoring of employee surfing/e-mail is illegal except in certain circumstances. There are a few cases out there where employees have sued and won. The legal test for what is considered consent by an employee to monitoring is not clear cut.

FYI

[/ QUOTE ]

You are speaking out of your ass. Please stop before you get some unwitting person fired.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Internet monitoring of employee surfing/e-mail is illegal except in certain circumstances. There are a few cases out there where employees have sued and won. The legal test for what is considered consent by an employee to monitoring is not clear cut.

FYI

[/ QUOTE ]

You are speaking out of your ass. Please stop before you get some unwitting person fired.

[/ QUOTE ]

jaydub preaches truth. Also, better look really, really, hard at the employee agreement you signed when you took the job. Because unless your company is being run by idiots, your signature is below a clause saying the the company owns your digital ass.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:45 PM

Appreciate the inside info Chip. Figured it was a long shot, I did however read something about what that previous poster said about using a remote desktop. Any thoughts on this.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Appreciate the inside info Chip. Figured it was a long shot, I did however read something about what that previous poster said about using a remote desktop. Any thoughts on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah, it would be really cool to hijack their remote desktop connection, open Word on their home pc, and puit YOU'RE FIRED in big bold letters.

The highest of high comedy right there. Unfortunately legal would probably prefer a slightly different approach, bastards....
Old 09-13-2005, 04:55 PM

Unless your traffic is 'out of band', using a modem of some kind, I woudn't try it.

If it's going through that patch cord that connects your workstation to the wall, or through the building's wireless network, it is being monitored. There is absolutely no way around this.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:56 PM

I don't really have the stones to try any of this anyway, but I was just interested.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really have the stones to try any of this anyway, but I was just interested.

[/ QUOTE ]
Try telling IT guys that you need increased access for your work. That actually did the trick for me at a previous employer.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately legal would probably prefer a slightly different approach, bastards....

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the way it usually works:

A. Nobody really cares what you surf at your desk. If your productivity is OK, and nobody's leveling sexual harassment charges at you, you're probably fine.

B. Let's say, however, that the Bobs or Lundberg has a bee up their ass about you. For whatever reason, doesn't have to be fair.

C. Your surfing habits are going to be jumped on like a hobo on a cheese sandwich. (sorry, that's a phrase the boss of my NOC loves, he's such a [censored] Frank Burns it's hilarious)

The first email or website that's outside the parameters of what you agreed to when you were hired, is going to get you fired.

It's not that they're breathing down your neck. It's that they hold the scissors outside the thread that's holding the sword that's over your head.

Hey, that rhymes! I should throw down on that hip hop thread. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2005, 05:10 PM

Do IT guys get their rocks off by catching people?
Old 09-13-2005, 05:13 PM

No.

Word will come down, "Put a sniffer on WS # blah blah blah." Or, "Scan the proxy log for blah blah blah". In my company, it's all numbers. Unless I knew the inventory number (aka name of) your computer, I wouldn't even know it was you.