Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 04:37 PM

Default Re: PokerRoom 10+1. Smart Play or Donkey Play

Yeah, I can understand that reasoning, but there is no side pot. Call and check it down unless the flop comes JJJ or something. I know you are thinking "play the situation not the hand" but your hand matters because you'll have to show it if the other guy folds and J-8 will almost always be worse than whatever BB has.

-Gross
Old 12-05-2005, 04:41 PM

because you may not be able to force the button out and in that case alone, J8s sucks. your going to need to hit the flop hard to win the main pot and if button calls, oh boy your going to need a miracle, because you have now staked your tournament life on the button folding.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:42 PM

I think perhaps more information would be helpful. I was under the impression that this was in the middle to late stages of an MTT, is this right?
Old 12-05-2005, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I can understand that reasoning, but there is no side pot. Call and check it down unless the flop comes JJJ or something. I know you are thinking "play the situation not the hand" but your hand matters because you'll have to show it if the other guy folds and J-8 will almost always be worse than whatever BB has.

-Gross

[/ QUOTE ]

The BB does not have to have a big hand to move his last 415 in the pot. I would guess he would do this with just about any two cards given the size of the blinds and the size of his remaining stack and the pot size now. What about this makes you think the BB has have a big hand and for that matter a hand that you would be a 6 - 1 dog to.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think perhaps more information would be helpful. I was under the impression that this was in the middle to late stages of an MTT, is this right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, about 85 people left 8,500 is about the average stack and it pays 60 places.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:15 PM

oh, ok, that changes my thinking. Then i dont hate this play as much, if your still trying to win the thing. J8 is right on the edge of what i might do this with. Also, i dont know if you can say that the buttons range is completely random. He has to be aware of the fact that you could push with alot of hands if he just calls. You can at least rule out the bottom 25% of hands prob. up to 33% of holdings, unless hes a total maniac.

I would do this with any A, pair (except 22, 33) and suited connectors/one gappers down to 97s. i dont like two gappers as much in this spot, but without running the numbers i would still say its questionable.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:47 PM

Id be scared of the button calling on pot odds, since by how the action went it looks like you have a small pocket pair and he will be getting good odds with any 2 high cards.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:56 PM

This play seems bad. If it works to perfection, you isolate the BB, are probably slightly behind, getting 2:1 on your money. EV = +500, generously.

If it backfires, SB calls with a better hand and you lose 2500 chips in EV.

Plus, you have a hand that could hit some good flops. Just see them cheap, and play from there.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Id be scared of the button calling on pot odds, since by how the action went it looks like you have a small pocket pair and he will be getting good odds with any 2 high cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is basically my argument on why its a bad play. When you complete in the SB you are basically announcing you have a marginal hand at best and want to see the flop for cheap. If the button is a decent player he is going to pick up on this, figuring he may be a favorite and even if slightly behind to your hand he has the odds to justify a call.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:16 PM

It's not credible for you to have a hand. You have no FE and likely the worst hand.

The merit of this play is they are suited.