Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 06:34 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: AKo passssssive. kinda

[ QUOTE ]
i may be ahead and he may be drawing nearly dead (5% or so) w/ something like 99/88.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really think he's calling the flop bet with a mid pair after you just capped preflop from EP and the board comes all Zone cards? I don't.

b
Old 08-31-2005, 07:41 PM

The check turn bet river combo doesnt work for me. ITs as if you changed your mind in the middle of the hand. What is your read that make you want to check the turn? After he bets the turn, you can reduce that range quite a bit - do you really want to bet into any of those hands?

Either bet the turn or check call the river.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:29 PM

Note I said the nuts, or a very good hand- and generalized the situation past the particular hand. Now, in the case of the particular hand it's not unreasonable to think the player could have KTs anyway, or AQ, or JJ. You also provided no analysis or evidence, so I have no idea where you get the idea that a good player wouldn't have KTs, or call the flop if they did.

The point is simply theres no real value in a river bet after checking the turn (which is not a bad play in itself)... you generally only get called or raised by a hand that beats you, whereas a worse hand may bet if you check.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Turn check is Ugly. No free cards for small pairs, worse ace, KK, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which worse ace?
Old 08-31-2005, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The check turn bet river combo doesnt work for me. ITs as if you changed your mind in the middle of the hand. What is your read that make you want to check the turn? After he bets the turn, you can reduce that range quite a bit - do you really want to bet into any of those hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don;t like this logic at all. Barron has som outs to the nuts, as well as some other potential clean outs. He thinks he might get popped on this turn fairly often, so he check wanting to invest as little as possible before showdown. When villian checks behind the turn, we are almost always good, and thsu should bet the river for value. Additionally, villian might try a bluff raise on the river because of our weird line.

Gabe
Old 08-31-2005, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don;t like this logic at all. Barron has som outs to the nuts, as well as some other potential clean outs. He thinks he might get popped on this turn fairly often, so he check wanting to invest as little as possible before showdown. When villian checks behind the turn, we are almost always good, and thsu should bet the river for value. Additionally, villian might try a bluff raise on the river because of our weird line.

Gabe

[/ QUOTE ]

You definitely right. I thought the turn went check, bet , call - then Hero bet into him on the river. Given the check through the river bet is standard.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:31 PM

seems good to me. I dont wanna get raised on the turn there either, you may have the best hand and run into a fancy raise. but when he checks behind sur elooks like the coast is clear.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but when he checks behind sur elooks like the coast is clear.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well apparently no ones buying my main point. This situation may not be the best example... but good (and when I say good I mean better than the average good player) players will check that turn behind you, when you are beat, for that bet. I know this as empirically true.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:04 AM

I see your line and figure I probably would be thinking the same thing on the turn. WTF is he calling with and is he ready to c/r, in which case I'm surely beat.

Whether it's right or wrong, sometimes the line has to coincide with your thought process at that moment.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I see your line and figure I probably would be thinking the same thing on the turn. WTF is he calling with and is he ready to c/r, in which case I'm surely beat.

Whether it's right or wrong, sometimes the line has to coincide with your thought process at that moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Barron is OOP.