Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 07:23 PM

Default Bubble question

Top 18 make the money , 2 players left to be itm , i am shortstacked with 3000 chips (9000 average) . UTG i receive AQo , what's the best move here?

Blinds : 800/400
There are 2 other guys with almost same stack like me

I went all-in and got called , maybe should i try to wait the blinds to see what happen with the other 2 shortstacked players?
Old 07-13-2005, 07:45 PM

Default Re: Bubble question

bubble play is MUCH less about the average stack and MUCH MORE about the size of your stack in relation to the blinds and antes. Short stacked w/ less than 10 BB's, you push in this spot at most tables. Unless you are in some kind of satellite where everyone gets a seat or the tourney is VERY top heavy, you are only getting twice your buy-in or less if you just make the money. Play for first and not for last or play a cheaper tourney if the buy-in means that much to you. You should be doing whatever you can to maximize your chances of taking first. That is why you were probably correct in pushing. Don't be results orriented.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bubble play is MUCH less about the average stack and MUCH MORE about the size of your stack in relation to the blinds and antes. Short stacked w/ less than 10 BB's, you push in this spot at most tables. Unless you are in some kind of satellite where everyone gets a seat or the tourney is VERY top heavy, you are only getting twice your buy-in or less if you just make the money. Play for first and not for last or play a cheaper tourney if the buy-in means that much to you. You should be doing whatever you can to maximize your chances of taking first. That is why you were probably correct in pushing. Don't be results orriented.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you won your way in through a qualifier and even the bottom prizes mean a lot to you, you gotta play for the victory. The adage about "a chip and a chair" hold true and ive seen more than one player go from shortstack to big money with some good luck and good timing. I debated this same thing when I was 5 from the money and could have folded into $600 (a decent amount for me) when I had 1/10th average chip stack, ended up calling a preflop raise with KK and getting sucked out on, but if I had won and staged a comeback for the 200K 1st place, i wouldnt be secondguessing my decision to not settle for $600.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:25 AM

Easy push. Once you pay the blinds coming up you're down to 1800 with practically no folding equity. You can't assume that the others will get knocked out before you.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:47 AM

I'd rather bubble then not leave myself a chance of final tabling.... But that's just me. PUSH WOMAN!!!!!!!!