Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2005, 08:22 AM

Default What\'s the standard fee for teaching poker?

Hey everyone.

Recently, a buddy of mine who is getting into Texas Hold'em asked me to teach him how to play. Since free lessons would be a waste of both our time (given that would you get for free you rarely value), he agreed to set up some sort of a compensation structure.

Currently, he's not winning so assume an hourly rate of $0/hr. I cover pretty much all of my "living expenses" out here in Iraq with what I win in the games we play. We agreed that any increase in his winnings can be accurately attributed to my teaching him.

So my question is what's the standared fee/compensation structure that's fair to both of us? I have no desire to charge him dearly but, at the same time, my time has high value to me even here.

I'm posting this in the "Beginners" forum, as well, as I'm not sure which one is better. Sorry for any annoyance that may cause.

Thank you in advance,
Kirk R.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:14 AM

Default Re: What\'s the standard fee for teaching poker?

I have taught many things to many people during my life. From tutoring in HS and college, to teaching classes in both grad school and at work. What I found was, that I ended up learning more than the people I was teaching. Not more I guess, but a deeper understanding than I had before. During the process of thinking about and researching what I thought they needed to know, I would discover gaps in my own knowledge that needed to be filled. After going through that process you suddenly realize that you didn't know as much as you think you did, not even close.

I guess what I'm saying is that, if it were me, I would jump at the chance to teach my friend, regardless of the money. It will benefit you far more than it will him.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:55 AM

Default Re: What\'s the standard fee for teaching poker? *DELETED*

Post deleted by Mat Sklansky
Old 01-07-2005, 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have taught many things to many people during my life. From tutoring in HS and college, to teaching classes in both grad school and at work. What I found was, that I ended up learning more than the people I was teaching. Not more I guess, but a deeper understanding than I had before. During the process of thinking about and researching what I thought they needed to know, I would discover gaps in my own knowledge that needed to be filled. After going through that process you suddenly realize that you didn't know as much as you think you did, not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is totally true. I teach English and music professionally so I feel I can advise you a bit. Always take some sort of payment, even if it is token. That way both the student and the teacher will take it more seriously. On a monetary form, between friends, I would say a token $10 an hour would be fine. If you don't want a money exchange I can assume since you're in Iraq that the two of you could easily find things of value to trade.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:15 AM

Pussy payments.

-Michael
Old 01-07-2005, 02:09 PM

Hi, I'm "Some 15/30 player" =)

Our program is centered around taking people who already understand the basics of the game and continually removing their biggest leaks. They submit a set of hands(roughly 1500) and after reviewing them we pick out a group that illustrates certain flaws in the game for them to work on. Assuming they fix those, we'll find different ones the next time. Feel free to send your friend over if you don't have the time or interest to teach them.

Thanks,
ReMMy
Old 01-15-2005, 02:22 PM

Thanks to all of you who replied with your thoughts. However, I would like to re-emphasize the part where I said "...since what you get for free you rarely value." Him paying me isn't about our friendship, nor is it based on "trading," since outside of our poker arrangement anything mine is his and vice versa. On top of that, the beauty of poker is that once learned, it can feed you (or at least provide very decent spending money as it's doing for me here) for the rest of your life, so it's a good investment.

Anyhow, the structure we finally settled on is that he agreed to fork over 20% of his winnings, calculated bi-weekly. That gives me a huge incentive to teach him well, without forcing him to pay anything unless my lessons are obviously working. I thought that was fair. Thoughts?

Kirk R.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:47 PM

I would collect winnings over a longer period of time, as you can see the shorter amount of time you take it over the more you will hurt him. If taken over every 100 hands, he would be a losing player if you took 20% no matter how good he was.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:20 PM

i always give one free lesson, but the second one will cost you

^that was extremely funny!!
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-17-2005, 01:45 AM

If he's your buddy do what you can and don't charge a penny. I mean, jesus, man, what's wrong with you. Friends aren't some market to be exploited. You do what you can when you can because they'd do the same for you.

But if you want to be a dick about it the cream of the crop in private poker lessons charge anywhere from $80 to $200 and hour and spend about 6 minutes per hand (on-line evaluation).

My apologizes if this came off a little harsh.