Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 11:39 AM

Default Donkbet by a pro

The BB is a very good professional player (and 2+2er). I don't know whether he knows my Eurobet name. I told him one time, but I'm not sure if he remembers it.

9 - handed 20/40 game on Party. Three folds and I raise with K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], a decent player cold-calls, and an unknown player cold-calls on the button, the sb folds and the BB calls.

Flop: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB checks, I bet, all three opponents call.

Turn: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB Donkbets (but he is not a donk) and I have 2 opponents to act behind me. What is my play?
Old 08-29-2005, 11:49 AM

Default Re: Donkbet by a pro

Gotta raise, even if it may be what the BB wants you to do. The guys behind you, if they have some combination of pair + gutshot outs (like 9-J), you want them out.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:54 AM

hmmm...this is odd. I'm having a hard time giving villain a range here. If he's got a big one (JT or a set), he's c/ring the flop or maybe the turn. I guess maybe he'd play 98 this way, hoping you'd raise the turn to protect his hand. Weird. I think you should raise to charge the other players. You may be behind BB, but you likely have some outs and your hand is vulnerable to the other dudes.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Gotta raise, even if it may be what the BB wants you to do. The guys behind you, if they have some combination of pair + gutshot outs (like 9-J), you want them out.

[/ QUOTE ]
This statement is right, even though you could easily be trailing here, you must raise to protect your vulnerable hand the times you are good. By the way, if the pro 3 bets your raise you should fold since you are probably drawing close to dead. Also, after your turn raise, assuming you dont get 3 bet, you should be checking the river unimproved.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:16 PM

No, I don't think I can fold to a 3-bet. I'm not drawing dead most of the time and I have plenty of outs when I'm not drawing dead.

If I'm drawing dead, his turn bet wouldn't make much sense.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:19 PM

Definitly need to shut out our other opponents, raise...
Old 08-29-2005, 12:35 PM

I like the raise, and no way do u fold to a 3 bet. You have alot of outs to corrupt 2 pair which he would most likely 3 bet. If u wanted, u coudl call the 3 bet and consider folding the river UI.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:41 PM

I'm thinking his hand is either 96s or 86s most of the time. Something weaker may also be possible, but if he had a decent pair on the flop wouldn't he have led into you there? Perhaps he could also have a weak Q and want to see a safe turn before putting in a BB. All that said, I agree that you have to raise. Your chance of being ahead plus your outs if you aren't plus the danger of the players behind you on this board make it a necessity.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:03 PM

It sure looks like he wants you to raise to thin the field because he has a vulnerable holding. I think his range is too wide to even consider giving up the hand, and that you should oblige him and raise since it is in your best interest, too. If it goes fold/fold and he three bets, I'd put villain squarely on two pair. AQ I think just calls your raise (though maybe not) and a set would check raise the flop I think (set of sixes makes no since, so I will discount that).
Old 08-29-2005, 01:04 PM

Hmmmm. This hand sounds a bit familiar. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

You definitely need to raise here especially with two players to act behind you. Sure, you might be behind but with the chance that you're ahead plus the players behind you that you'd like to get out I think a raise is a must.

-ActionBob