Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 08:08 AM

Default TUAN LE

READ AN ARTICLE ON HIM AND HE STATED HE HAS NEVER READ A POKER BOOK I FIND THIS HARD TO BELIEVE HOW CAN ONE PLAY POKER WITHOUT UNDERSTANDING & APPLYING THE MATH BEHIND IT?
Old 07-28-2005, 08:15 AM

Default Re: TUAN LE

DO YOU HAVE TO READ A BOOK TO UNDERSTAND? HOW DID THE PERSON WHO WROTE THE BOOK UNDERSTAND IT IN THE FIRST PLACE?

If you wanna get som serious answers (prolly too late now), then I suggest stop screaming.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:24 AM

ok ill stop screaming because i want some serious replies to my post thanks
Old 07-28-2005, 09:16 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

I placed 7th out of 250 players back in 2003 at Foxwoods Tuesday night rebuy tourney, and I had never read a poker book at that time.

I had played 7-stud since my teens, and had recently picked up NL hold em.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:47 AM

his voice intimidates the other players so much, how could he not win? who needs books?
Old 07-28-2005, 09:52 AM

If I'm wrong, please correct me, but the only math involved in poker that I've used isn't anything beyond arithemetic (figuring out pot size, figuring out size of bet compared to size of pot, better known as pot odds) and simple probability. Even the non-math-inclined people out there can do these sorts of calculations on the fly with a bit of practice. I'll admit that I'm majoring in math right now and even I had to read HPFAP to realize that I could do better in my Thursday night poker game with simple math. But it doesn't seem impossible to me for someone to figure out with time that they shouldn't chase when the pot is small, that their opponent could be holding a range of different hole cards with some being more likely than others, etc.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Tuan (if he is telling the truth) probably applies a rough math based on past experience, reads, and the relative size of the pot, rather than actually crunching any numbers. I'd be interested to hear what other people think.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:59 AM

While I was in Vegas last year watching the WSOP (I was only 19 at the time so I couldn't play it), I was talking to Phil Ivey while he was shooting craps. I asked him if he recommended any books. He said "I don't recommend anything. Just play. Play all the time. There's no substitute for experience." I took htis comment to heart and have been abiding by it ever since. Not to say that there is anything wrong with reading books. I guess its just personal preference.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:01 AM

Quit shouting! You are hurting my ears. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2005, 12:38 PM

Default retard strength

i have no doubt this is true. tuan is a degenerate gambler. hes been broke 100 times. he would always play the biggest game he had the minimum buy in for at the Bike whether it be 4-8 or 400-800 or 4000-8000. he always played like a retard BUT retards have retard strength and he has it.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:32 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: retard strength

Pretty much, sometimes you get lucky. Now Tuan has done well in a few big events, that doesn't mean he didn't get lucky each time, but I think you have to give the kid credit, even if you don't care for his playing style (which I view as super-agressive)

I found the two Harrington on Hold 'Em books, and Caro's Poker Tells, to be extremely useful in improving my game.