Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Professional vs 2nd Income

[ QUOTE ]
why do people choose to do this? Hate working for a boss? Like to set your own hours? Higher aspirations? Love the money too much to let go?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you probably hit on many of the answers right there.

My feeling is that a person's decision to go pro has a lot to do with how much they like/hate their "regular" job. If you like your full-time job, then poker becomes a nice 2nd income. If you hate your job, the "grind" of being a poker pro sounds pretty appealing by comparison.

I think a lot of wannabe pros use the "but everyone hates their job" argument, but what they really mean is "I hate MY job." Many people do in fact like their jobs and would never want to give it up to play poker full-time.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:58 PM

Defensive much?
Old 11-30-2005, 03:25 PM

No, just easily irritated by people who pop into threads, assume the OP is stupid, then drop in a snotty, unfunny remark.

This forum is full of them. All they do is snipe with their one-liners, yet they never say anything interesting or amusing.

I mean, if you're going to take a shot, entertain me or someone else while you're at it. Typing "Newsflash" before stating something you think is obvious is about as funny as a Bob Saget one-liner on America's Funniest Home Videos.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:29 PM

Wait, Bob Saget isn't funny? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Seriously though, 2+2 has its share of wise asses. It's best just to ignore them. No point in bringing more attention to their posts.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:48 PM

my point is that i hate to do something 7-8 hours without a break. So i prefer a bit poker, a bit my job and a bit stockmarket
Old 11-30-2005, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Seriously though, 2+2 has its share of wise asses. It's best just to ignore them. No point in bringing more attention to their posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. I'm a grouch today anyway, so there you have it.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:14 AM

I owned(own) a siding and window company and shut it down midsummer to give poker a run. I'm not much of a people person and enjoy just chilling in a room for hours. I don't make as much as before and i work twice as long, but i'm happy. To make poker a job you have to know yourself. Is it what your really want to do, or is it a case of the green grass on the other side. I for one won't be crying about the grind of playing poker. Sure beats being 30 feet of the ground, hanging by your nuts, doing something you hate just for the money.

I wonder how many of the people who get burned out Play more then one table. I sometimes play two tables but 90% of the time I play only one table. Playing more then one table for me just gets out of hand. I also find switching up the game I play helps. I like to bounce between No limit, Limit, and Pot Limit Omaha. If you can learn to play a few different forms of poker it will take away some of the dullness. The last thing i do to stay fresh is bounce site to site. Any given day I'll play 3 to 4 sites.

Better to go broke trying then to have never tried.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, just easily irritated by people who pop into threads, assume the OP is stupid, then drop in a snotty, unfunny remark.

This forum is full of them. All they do is snipe with their one-liners, yet they never say anything interesting or amusing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ehhhhhh..... on reflection, Kurn, Son or Mogh probably wasn't trying to be a jerk. Complete overreaction on my part. I should save this stuff for people who really deserve it.

Apologies to Kurn, Son of Mogh.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I understand that. Which is why I asked the question to begin with, jackass. If a "real" job and playing poker end up being much the same, then why would someone choose such a tough and unstable path?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because even when you hate both equally, they are not the same. I was self employed for 10 years before I made the choice to do this for a living.

After 10 years in the video industry I started to hate my job. After a year and a half of playing full time I hate poker.(maybe hate is to strong a word, but I no longer look forward to playing and I put it off when ever I can.) It is no longer fun for me.

But playing poker allows me to choose when and how much I want to play. I don't have to be at work for 9am because my store opens at 10am. I can pick and choose my hours.

I can spend more time with family and friends and my work schedule revolves around my social schedule, most people have it the other way around.

I don't have to be ordered around all day by some pencil pushing, pimply faced management jackass. I can do what I want when I want.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:34 AM

hobbes more posts on girls less on poker. this subject has been discussed extensively by everyone on the forums. do a searh in the archives and you find some great and definitive thoughts on this subject.