Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 03:54 PM

Default Re: 2005 Hyundai Elantra vs a 2005 Honda Civic

[ QUOTE ]
Well if it's anything like a Kia, it'll leak oil from the rear main seal right on the clutch. Bye bye clutch, hello warranty. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. I've found that it's always a good thing to have your car compared to a Kia.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you drive a Hyundai, there will be no banging going on.

[/ QUOTE ]

...like a fat chick...yadda...yadda....
Old 08-19-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well if it's anything like a Kia, it'll leak oil from the rear main seal right on the clutch. Bye bye clutch, hello warranty. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. I've found that it's always a good thing to have your car compared to a Kia.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh hell, I'm just joking. I have a friend with a Tiburon, and he loves it. I'm sure reliability is fine.

What's up with me and insulting other people's cars lately? First it's the guy with the BMW 330Ci SMG, and now it's the Hyundai crowd. C'mon people, where are the GM drivers?!

By the way, for my penance: I have a '94 Toyota Pickup with 179k on the clock. Have at it! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-19-2005, 03:57 PM

Check out what the insurance costs are on both. These rates are largely based on the expected medical bills associated with an accident. I really dislike Honda. Given their relative (in comparison with other manufacturers) downhill slide over the last many years, I feel they have become over rated based on past reputation. Even given that, go with the Honda and it's not even close.

If you are still open to looking around try Toyota or Mopar (Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep). They are, in my opinion, the best mass produced vehicles on the road today.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are still open to looking around try Toyota or Mopar (Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep). They are, in my opinion, the best mass produced vehicles on the road today.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're not seriously going to suggest that he should buy a Neon, are you?
Old 08-19-2005, 04:00 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

reliability is a big problem on tiburons. consumer reports cites poor (the worst) for predicted reliability, and indicates electric, power equipment, paint/trim, body hardware, and body integrity as problem areas.

a friend owned one and he just traded it in. he was upside-down on the loan and had numerous reliability problems related to electric, even the clock failed. power window issues, and the body seemed to ding if you looked at it wrong.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:16 PM

Just to clarify, I basically was down to a Civic or a Mazda3i, which I am planning to go drive this weekend. Although with what I want to spend, if I want to get the Mazda, it will be a pretty bare bones version.

Today someone mentioned the Elantra to me, starting by pointing out that I could get power everything for significantly less money. The reviews on it seems to say that it basically is giving you a comparable car for significantly less money. Of course the question then is reliability. It's nice though that they offer such great standard warranties.

Reading some consumer reviews, it seemed like most people thought the car was a complete steal at the price, but there were the odd review here and there of somebody who had problems.

The hatchback option has me kind of curious. Outside of the reliability question, the one thing I read in a review that I particularly didn't like was that to get the power out of the engine, it needed to rev high, which they said meant that drivers with an automatic might be wondering where the power was, and drivers with a stick would need to get used to shifting at high rpms to take advantage of the engine. I was looking at switching to an automatic, so I don't want to hear that the best bet is to stay with a stick, and that I'll have to get used to driving differenty if I do.

Obviously I really just need to go test drive everything, but was trying to figure out if it was worth my time to seriously consider an Elantra. Still not sure.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:17 PM

Mrs. nolanfan has an Elantra, and it's run pretty well for the past few years. I think they're not as bad as the Hyundai reputation.

That being said, we didn't get her a similar year/mileage Honda, because we couldn't afford it at the time. So I'd go with a Civic if you can afford it.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:21 PM

I fail to see how there's any decision to be made here.

One option is gives you one of the best quality cars on the market, that holds it's value and will be problem-free for 300,000+ kilometers.

The other is a depreciating piece of sh;t.

Adam
Old 08-19-2005, 04:30 PM

Default Ok, how about Mazda3i opinions?

Anyone driven one of these?