Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2004, 01:25 PM

Default Crossing the line? A notes based decision

I made a play today that felt odd but seemed right. A player open raises from UTG and it's folded to me on the button. I have ATo. Normally I'd just fold, but I check his notes for kicks. Over 200 hands his pfr was 26. So I three-bet. He check folded the flop so I have no clue what he had - but the question is, where can you draw the line with notes based three-bets? Did I cross it?
-James
Old 09-22-2004, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Crossing the line? A notes based decision

26% is awfully high. So high that I doubt he cares that he's UTG or not. I think you're alright here especially since you don't have to worry about many players behind you.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:55 PM

Well, let's see.

AQ. Easy 3-bet in any position facing a raise from this guy.
AJ. Hmmm... tougher. But this guy goes beyond being a "loose" raiser. 3-bet in any position, maybe fold it if you're immediately on his left.
AT. Hmmm... close. Probably fold even if you're MP with this guy. But you're the button and don't have to worry so much about somebody waking up to a big hand behind you. I think your 3-bet here is good.

Good luck.
Eric
Old 09-22-2004, 01:57 PM

i was thinking about this myself without approaching it while taking yourposition into account - which is of course the best way to play it. nice post eric.
Old 09-22-2004, 02:06 PM

26% means the guy is raising with hands like K5s, 22, or A4o.

ATo is a monster in the situation described.
Old 09-22-2004, 02:16 PM

Think about it this way. This guy is raising more hands than you play so he's gotta be raising trash most of the time.

Easy easy 3 bet.

Now A9o or A8o and you may have a tougher desicion.
Old 09-22-2004, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I made a play today that felt odd but seemed right. A player open raises from UTG and it's folded to me on the button. I have ATo. Normally I'd just fold, but I check his notes for kicks. Over 200 hands his pfr was 26. So I three-bet. He check folded the flop so I have no clue what he had - but the question is, where can you draw the line with notes based three-bets? Did I cross it?
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

Jimmy 2.882,

C'mon man, don't ask questions that you already know the answer to.
Old 09-22-2004, 02:24 PM

I had a similar situation recently, it went against what I'd normally do but felt right based on prior knowledge of the player. In the cutoff with A8s; two limpers and the player to my immediate right raised. Raiser had just shown down a hand where he'd raised with 52s(!) so I decided to treat him as just limping and call. I'm still very uncertain about this, though, and suspect it was the wrong decision - even maniacs get hands.
Old 09-22-2004, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had a similar situation recently, it went against what I'd normally do but felt right based on prior knowledge of the player. In the cutoff with A8s; two limpers and the player to my immediate right raised. Raiser had just shown down a hand where he'd raised with 52s(!) so I decided to treat him as just limping and call. I'm still very uncertain about this, though, and suspect it was the wrong decision - even maniacs get hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should probably have 3-bet.

I don't get why this stuff seems to confound people. Hand values are entirely relative, both before and after the flop. It shouldn't make you uncomfortable to 3-bet with J9s against someone who is raising 80% of his hands or to fold AQs against someone who is raising 2% of them.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:37 PM

I 3 bet a guy who was raising every other hand he played yesterday with K6 suited. Flopped a 6 and bet the crap out of it. Beat his 10-6 to a pulp.

Sometimes the situation just comes up, and when it does those barely marginal garbage hands look like Aces. Other times strong hands look like 7-2. You just gotta read between the lines.