Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 10:49 PM

Default JTs 6-max, top pair

After a stint at Paradise Poker in which I ran pretty well, I'm stopping at PokerStars for a bit until I hit the elusive $500 mark. So far, so good. I've been playing the 6-max tables at PokerStars which are surprisingly soft. I'm just checking to see if I'm playing a few hands correctly.

Reads: UTG is loose before the flop and generally passive after the flop. I have seen him bet middle pair before however.

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Preflop, I think this raise can be for value and it can also buy me the button.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG calls.

UTG bets. I wasn't sure what to do here, but it's possible I can have the best hand. I raised to protect my hand and possibly for value. I think it's the only good play here. Calling doesn't protect my hand, and if I'm ahead it's a huge mistake. In retrospect, I like the turn bet, and I think the river bet can be for value here. Another line would be to bet the turn and check the river through. Which line should I take here?

Turn: (5.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

River: (7.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>
Old 08-11-2005, 10:53 PM

Default Re: JTs 6-max, top pair

bet bet bet
Old 08-11-2005, 11:05 PM

FYPs:

[ QUOTE ]
but it's likely that I have the best hand. I raised to protect my hand and definitely for value

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
raise bet bet

[/ QUOTE ] is fine here. PF raise seems fine too.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:15 PM

Nice hand
Old 08-11-2005, 11:20 PM

Results: UTG showed QTo and MHING. Seems I played it alright though. Thanks.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:25 PM

Ya, I forgot to mention that you played it to perfection...checking behind on the river would have been a no no...vnh
Old 08-12-2005, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
After a stint at Paradise Poker in which I ran pretty well, I'm stopping at PokerStars for a bit until I hit the elusive $500 mark. So far, so good. I've been playing the 6-max tables at PokerStars which are surprisingly soft. I'm just checking to see if I'm playing a few hands correctly.

Reads: UTG is loose before the flop and generally passive after the flop. I have seen him bet middle pair before however.

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Preflop, I think this raise can be for value and it can also buy me the button.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG calls.

UTG bets. I wasn't sure what to do here, but it's possible I can have the best hand. I raised to protect my hand and possibly for value. I think it's the only good play here. Calling doesn't protect my hand, and if I'm ahead it's a huge mistake. In retrospect, I like the turn bet, and I think the river bet can be for value here. Another line would be to bet the turn and check the river through. Which line should I take here?

Turn: (5.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

River: (7.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's a good bet, but not as good as everyone else is making it out to be. The problem is that there aren't many hands that villain will bet with on the flop that will call and lose to hero. How loose is villain? Is he T8 UTG loose? What about T6? Would he raise 99 UTG preflop? Knowing these things will help your winrate tremendously.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:45 AM

Nice hand bud.

Easy flop raise for value and to shut out BB

Turn and River are 100% standard.